Location of the initiative:
Relation to Strategy 21 Recommendations:
Time span of the initiative:
The initiative Cultural Heritage Makers -competition has been organised in Finland as a part of the national European Heritage Days -programme during the years 2013–2017. The initiative has been developed further into a European level initiative in cooperation with the EHD Programme (The Council of Europe and European Comission). The European Heritage Makers Week was launched in March 2018.
Brief description of the initiative:
The Cultural Heritage-makers competition for children and young people is part of the Finnish programme of European Heritage Days. The competition encourages children and young people to observe, explore and analyse their immediate surroundings. Furthermore, it encourages them to participate in and influence the development and cultural renewal of their immediate surroundings. The winning group will be awarded a prize of 500 euros. Each group entering the competition is awarded a Cultural Heritage-makers diploma. The European Heritage Days Working Group acts as the panel.
Objectives of the initiative:
- Support the formation of the cultural identities of children and young people and help them build a relationship with their environment,
- Help children and young people understand, appreciate and assess their local cultural environment,
- Support the participation, influencing and active citizenship of children and young people in their immediate surroundings and society at large,
- Promote the cultural, environmental and sustainability education provided by day care centres, schools, educational institutes, associations and other parties.
Brief assessment of the initiative’s results:
A follow-up of the Finnish EHD-programme as a whole is drafted yearly and published by the Ministry of the Environment. The Cultural Heritage Makers -competition has been assessed and developed further on the basis of the evaluation done in the yearly meetings of the panel as well as in the regular meetings of the working group.
- Cultural Heritage Makers -competition (Kulttuuriympäristön tekijät -kilpailu)
- Instructions in English (2017)
- Explore the Competition inputs (”Heritage Makers” as keyword)
- More information: The cooperation with the europeanheritagedays.com started in 2014 after which the works have been uploaded in the European portal.
- European Heritage Makers Week in Finland (2018)
- European Heritage Makers Week (2018)
Association of Cultural Heritage Education in Finland
tel. +358 (0)40 128 0818