Council of Europe European Commission for the efficiency of justice (CEPEJ)
17 Jul 2020 20:40:00Malta 17/07/2020
On 17 July, Dr Edward Żammit Lewis, Maltese Minister of Justice, Equality and Governance, held a...
15 Jul 2020 17:21:00Baku 15/07/2020
The Council of Europe is preparing an expert advice to Azerbaijani judicial authorities on steps...
15 Jul 2020 17:14:00Baku 15/07/2020
CEPEJ is developing an expert advice to Azerbaijani judicial authorities on “Access to courts for...
07 Jul 2020 11:28:00Written procedure 7 July 2020
The members of the CEPEJ adopted, by written procedure, the bi-annual report on the evaluation of...
03 Jul 2020 14:12:00Website 03 July 2020
The members of the CEPEJ are active and committed and ensure that the tools developed by the...
“Due to the health crisis of COVID-19, the CEPEJ continues its work by adapting its working methods to the requirements of health safety and telework".
The news on this page report on the activities carried out in these exceptional circumstances. The gradual return of the Secretariat to the premises of the Council of Europe began in mid-May in accordance with the instructions of the Secretary General of the Council of Europe.
Despite the health crisis, the implementation of cooperation programmes has continued as much as possible. The Secretariat of the CEPEJ reports on the state of progress of the joint European Union / Council of Europe co-operation programmes.
In setting up the European Commission for the Efficiency of Justice (CEPEJ) at the end of 2002, at the initiative of the European ministers of Justice who met in London (2000), the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe wanted to establish an innovative body for improving the quality and efficiency of the European judicial systems and strengthening the court users’ confidence in such systems.
The CEPEJ develops concrete measures and tools aimed at policy makers and judicial practitioners in order to:
- Analyse the functioning of judicial systems and orientate public policies of justice
- Have a better knowledge of judicial timeframes and optimize judicial time management
- Promote the quality of the public service of justice
- Facilitate the implementation of European standrards in the field of justice
- Support member states in their reforms on court organisations
The CEPEJ also contributes with specific expertise to debates about the functioning of the justice system in order to provide a forum for discussion and proposals and bring the users closer to their justice system. (Read more)
- Case weighting in judicial systems - CEPEJ Studies No. 28 (2nd July 2020)
- CEPEJ 2019 activity report (2nd July 2020)
- "DECLARATION ON LESSONS LEARNT AND CHALLENGES FACED BY THE JUDICIARY DURING AND AFTER THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC" (10 June 2020)