Election of GRETA members
About the election procedure
Resolution CM/Res(2013)28 on rules on the election procedure of the members of the Group of Experts on Action against Trafficking in Human Beings (GRETA) (adopted by the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe on 24 October 2013).
The procedure aims to guarantee the election of experts who will be independent and impartial in their evaluation of the implementation of the Convention by the parties. In addition it aims to ensure a multidisciplinary expertise, a gender and geographical balance as well as representation of the main legal systems.
The rules stipulate that the GRETA members must have recognised competence in the fields of human rights, of assistance and protection of victims or of action against trafficking in human beings, or professional experience in the areas covered by the Convention. They must serve in their individual capacity, be independent and impartial, and be available to serve GRETA effectively.
Nomination of candidates for GRETA membership
States party to the Convention are entitled to nominate candidates for GRETA membership. The states are required to ensure that their national selection procedure leading to the nomination of candidates for GRETA is either in accordance with published national guidelines or is otherwise transparent and designed to lead to the nomination of the most qualified candidates.
Elections of members of GRETA took place at the following meetings of the Committee of the Parties:
- 23rd meeting, 9 November 2018
7 members elected
• one member re-elected for a second term, and
• six new members elected for the first time
- 19th meeting, 4 November 2016
13 members elected
• seven members re-elected for a second term,
• one former member elected for a new term, and
• five new members elected for the first time
- 15th meeting, 5 December 2014
two members re-elected for a second term of four years
- 9th meeting, 12-13 November 2012
13 members elected
• five members re-elected for a second term of four years, and
• eight new members elected for the first time
- 6th meeting, 26 September 2011
following the resignation of one of the GRETA members on 2 May 2011, one new member was elected to fill this vacant seat
- 5th meeting, 6 December 2010
two more members elected, bringing the total number of GRETA members to its maximum of 15
- 1st meeting, 5 & 8 December 2008
13 members elected for the first composition of GRETA
Term of office of the members
Members are elected for a term of office of four years, renewable once except in the case of a member elected to fill a seat which has become vacant before the end of the term of office of the previous member in which he/she shall hold the seat for the remainder of the predecessor’s term.