Strasbourg, 4 March 2010
FOR THE ATTENTION OF THE MEMBERS OF THE STANDING COMMITTEE
The Standing Committee of the Conference of INGOs, meeting in Strasbourg on 25 January 2010 (from 11 am to 12.30 pm), with Jean-Marie Heydt in the chair:
· adopted the agenda [CONF/SC(2010)OJ1];
· adopted the synopses of the meetings held on 29 September and 1 October 2009;
· took note of the meeting reports of the Bureau of the Conference of INGOS on 11 January (Paris) and 25 January 2010 (Strasbourg);
1. Orientation and priorities of the Conference of INGOs
· held a further exchange of views on the priorities of the Conference of INGOs, on the basis of the document prepared by the Bureau at its meeting in Lyon on 24 September 2009, which had been revised pursuant to the initial exchange of views in the Standing Committee on 1 October 2009 and the proposals made by some members;
· considered that the document should be further improved to reflect genuine, unifying priorities and to take account of the reform context at the Council of Europe;
· nevertheless decided, with one vote against and no abstentions, to submit the document to the Conference of INGOs on 27 January 2010 for discussion;
· noted that the document could still be amended and invited members to send their proposals to the Secretariat prior to the meeting of the Conference of INGOs, in written form only;
2. Proposal concerning a European Biodiversity Day (28 April 2010)
· took note of the following points underlined by the President: all activities involving the Conference of INGOs, one of its committees or one of its transversal groups must be submitted to the Standing Committee for prior approval; a description of the project must be sent to the Standing Committee and the Secretariat prior to the meeting and must provide the following information: the political objectives, budget and requirements in terms of human resources; finally, activities scheduled during sessions must not interfere in any way with statutory meetings.
· decided, following a lively exchange of views,
o to give its approval, with one vote against, to the idea of holding a European Biodiversity Day (Wednesday 28 April 2010);
o to propose to the Plenary Conference on 27 January that the meeting it should have held in the morning of 28 April be postponed to 24 June;
o to maintain the meeting of the Standing Committee in the afternoon of 28 April.
· took note of the draft declaration entitled “Working together to halt the loss of biodiversity and overuse of natural spaces and to mitigate the effects of climate change”, to be signed with the Parliamentary Assembly and the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities and decided, with one vote against, that this text could be amended by the President of the Conference of INGOs if the Parliamentary Assembly and the Congress themselves proposed amendments to the text;
3. Preparations for the meeting of the Conference of INGOs on 27 January 2010
· noted, with regard to the 2009 activity report of the Conference of INGOs, that it had not been possible, in view of the deadlines, to include in the document the list of the Bureau members’ activities but that this list would be prepared and made available on the Conference of INGOs website (Bureau section);
4. Draft Charter of Good Governance of the INGOS holding participatory status with the Council of Europe
· took note of the new presentation of the draft Charter of governance of INGOs by Loïc Tribot La Spière (Centre for Study and Strategic Prospective) and decided to re-discuss it at its meeting on 28 April, bearing in mind the legal implications of certain aspects of this document, for possible submission to the Conference of INGOs at its meeting on 24 June 2010.
5. Date of the next meeting: Wednesday 27 January 2010 (2.30 - 3.30 pm)