HUMAN RIGHTS COMMITTEE
Strasbourg, 7 January 2010
of the meeting on Monday 25 January 2010
from 2.30 pm to 6 pm
Room G03 (Agora)
1. Agenda: for adoption
2. Synopsis of the meeting on 30 September 2009 [CONF/HR(2009)SYN4]: for adoption
1st part of the meeting: Discrimination, a growing factor in the denial of human rights (2.30–4.30 pm)
To prepare for this meeting, see appendix.
“The member States of the Council of Europe signatory hereto,
Having regard to the fundamental principle according to which all persons are equal before the law and are entitled to the equal protection of the law;
Being resolved to take further steps to promote the equality of all persons through the collective enforcement of a general prohibition of discrimination by means of the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms signed at Rome on 4 November 1950 (hereinafter referred to as .the Convention.);
Reaffirming that the principle of non-discrimination does not prevent States Parties from taking measures in order to promote full and effective equality, provided that there is an objective and reasonable justification for those measures,
Have agreed as follows:
Article 1 . General prohibition of discrimination
1 The enjoyment of any right set forth by law shall be secured without discrimination on any ground such as sex, race, colour, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, association with a national minority, property, birth or other status.
2 No one shall be discriminated against by any public authority on any ground such as those mentioned in paragraph 1 (…) “
3. Are other instruments (notably those of ECRI) known to and used by your INGO?
Do you think that they could assist your INGO’s action in response to cases of discrimination?
4. Which examples of action against discrimination could you contribute? What is your INGO’s assessment of the actions carried out for this purpose?
5. Do you work in collaboration, or at least in liaison
- with national anti-discrimination institutions?
- with other NGOs?
- with local, municipal or regional authorities?