CULTURE, SCIENCE AND EDUCATION COMMITTEE
Strasbourg, 20 December 2010
FOR THE ATTENTION OF THE MEMBERS OF THE CULTURE, SCIENCE AND EDUCATION COMMITTEE
The Committee on Culture, Science and Education, with Edouard Jagodnik, European Federation of Schools (FEDE),
1. Adopted the agenda
2. Adopted the synopsis of the meeting held on 23 June 2010 [CONF/CULT(2010)SYN3]
3. Activities since the last session:
· Alain Mouchoux, Vice-President of the INGO Conference, reported on the debates in which he had taken part, in particular on the different committees, the consequences of the global economic crisis on health and education, and on the work that was continuing to be carried out on education for democratic citizenship and human rights, for which a charter had been adopted. A memorandums on this subject would be forwarded to Edouard Jagodnik.
· Alain Mouchoux would attend the meeting on 7 October 2010 on the Route of Roma Culture and would report back to the committee.
4. Sub-Committee on Culture – Chairperson: Edouard Jagodnik
· Working Group “European Identity” – co-ordinator: Noël Orsat
Noël Orsat reported on the outcome of the meeting on joint cultural routes: the possibility of a publication in the form of summaries of texts had been envisaged but a solution needed to be found for its translation into English.
· Working Group on “The religious dimension of intercultural dialogue” – co-ordinator: James Barnett
Information on the 2010 Council of Europe Exchange on the religious dimension of intercultural dialogue in Ohrid (13-14 September 2010)
Information on the forthcoming Lisbon Forum (4-5 November 2010)
James Barnett said that the Group’s work was underway and that included the question “What forms of religious belief can really be considered religions?”.
5. Presentation by Sjur Bergan, Head of the Department of Higher Education and History Teaching (link to the presentation)
· Information on Council of Europe activities in the field of higher education
- CDESR (Committee for Higher Education and Research) and
- CDED (Steering Committee for Education): decision to be taken in 2011 concerning the possibility of merging the two into a single Steering Committee for Education
- Bologna Process and qualifications frameworks
- Academic freedom and autonomy of universities
- ENQA (European Association for Quality Assurance in Higher Education)
6. Sub-Committee on Education – Chairperson: Sabine Rohmann
· Information provided by Sabine Rohmann on the Conference of European Ministers of Education in Ljubljana in early June 2010, in which she and Edouard Jagodnik had taken part. She underlined the significant place given to the representatives of the Conference and to their contributions.
· Information on the Pestalozzi programme for the training of education professionals by Josef Huber of the Council of Europe Secretariat
· Information on the setting-up of a database by the European Wergeland Centre, which aims to help connect people working in the field of education for human rights, democratic citizenship and intercultural dialogue
7. Preparations for the Forum on the Universality of Human Rights in Oslo on 21 and 22 October 2010
· Edouard Jagodnik took stock of the preparations for the Forum and said that 100 registrations had been received to date.
8. Projects for 2011
· Edouard Jagodnik suggested examining the formation of the working groups of the various sub-committees and taking stock of the themes. A survey could be made of members’ suggestions, a summary made and the necessary reorganisation undertaken in 2011.
9. Other business
· Information on the activities of the INGO “Regards d’Enfants”, which had trained 24 teachers in the context of the Pestalozzi programme.