GENDER EQUALITY TRANSVERSAL GROUP
Strasbourg, 22 June 2010
DRAFT SYNOPSIS OF THE MEETING OF 22 JUNE 2010
FOR THE ATTENTION OF THE MEMBERS OF THE GENDER EQUALITY TRANSVERSAL GROUP
The Gender Equality Transversal Group meeting in Strasbourg on 22 June 2010, with Karin Nordmeyer in the chair:
1. adopted the Agenda [CONF/TG/GEN(2010)OJ3]
2. approved the Synopsis of the meeting held on 26 April 2010 [CONF/TG/GEN(2010)SYN2]
3. Follow-up on activities of the Gender Equality Transversal Group since the last meeting.
Was informed by the chair that she had approached the responsible authorities in the German Government urging them to ratify the European Convention on Action Against Trafficking in Human Beings (CETS n°197), as well as the European Social Charter (Revised) (CETS n°163).
Was informed by the Vice-Chair Christiaan Colpaert that he had contacted Lady Ben Ali, First Lady of Tunisia and President of the Arab Women Organisation, inviting her as a speaker to the round table on the issue of the burqa. Lady Ben Ali was unable to attend at this time. Sophie Dimitroulias (Association of Women of Southern Europe - AFEM) requests that future invitations of Arab Women Organisation should be discussed with members of the Tranversal Group working in the respective fields.
4. Briefing on activities of the Parliamentary Assembly and the Committee on Equal Opportunities for Women and Men (Summer session 2010)
Was informed about the documents being discussed in the summer session of PACE which are relevant to the Transversal Group :
Doc 12266 Report - Islam, islamism and islamophobia in Europe
Doc 12267 Report – Combating sexist stereotypes in the media
Doc 12274 Report - Decent pensions for women
Doc 12294 - Reply from the Committee of Ministers to REC 1887 (2009) Rape of women, including marital rape
5. Debate on the 7th Council of Europe Conference of Ministers responsible for Equality between Women and Men, 24-25 May 2010, Baku/Azerbaijan:”Bridging the gap between de iure and de facto gender equality”.
Was informed by the Chair that she represented the Conference of INGOs at the above-mentioned conference and was invited to make an address during the opening ceremony. Link to the full text of the address – link to the Resolution – link to the action plan
The Gender Equality Transversal Group will discuss during the Autumn Session how to respond actively to these documents and what strategies and tools the Conference of INGOs could set up to follow up the action plan.
6. Debate on the Ad Hoc Committee on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence. Draft contribution of the Conference of INGOs
The latest version of the draft convention will be discussed at the next CAHVIO meetings in July and September.
Proposals for modifications of the draft with regard to the preamble, the scope or/and the monitoring system should be sent to the Chair by email.
7. No other business
8. Date of the next meeting: Monday, 4 October 2010, 2:30 pm to 4 pm, room 2, Palais de l’Europe