GENDER EQUALITY TRANSVERSAL GROUP
Strasbourg, 7 December 2009
S Y N O P S I S
OF THE MEETING OF 29 SEPTEMBER 2009
FOR THE ATTENTION OF THE MEMBERS OF THE GENDER EQUALITY TRANSVERSAL GROUP
The Gender Equality Transversal Group meeting on 29 September 2009 in Strasbourg :
1. Opened the meeting by words of introduction by the Chair Karin Nordmeyer (Zonta International) and the Vice-Chair Christiaan Colpaert (EAAME).
2. Adopted the agenda.
3. Approved the Synopsis of the meeting held on 29 June 2009 [CONF/TG/GEN(2009)SYN3] unanimously.
4. Nominated Vera John-Mikolajewski (University Women of Europe) rapporteur of the meeting.
5. Was informed by the chair on the follow-up of activities since the last meeting of the Gender Equality Transversal Group
Was informed by Sophie Dimitroulias, (Association of Women of Southern Europe (AFEM), on the new “European award of scientific excellence in the field of fundamental rights, including gender equality”, established by AFEM in memory of Micheline Galabert-Augé (Honorary President and Founder of AFEM). Call for candidates, deadline 31 December 2009.
Was suggested by Nigel Warner (International Lesbian and Gay Association - European Region, ILGA-Europe) to consider lesbian and trans-sexual women as a special vulnerable group among women exposed to violence. He would like this issue to be addressed by the Council of Europe Ad-Hoc Committee on Preventing and Combating Violence Against Women and Domestic Violence (CAHVIO)..,
6. Had an exchange of views with Muriel Grimmeissen, Co-Secretary to the Committee of Social Cohesion of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe.
7. Had an exchange of views and debated on the European Social Charter, Article 4 (the right to fair remuneration/“equal pay”) with Tanja Kleinsorge, Secretary of the Parliamentary Assembly Committee on Equal Opportunities for Women and Men and Anne-Marie Faradji, Co-Secretary to the Steering Committee for Equality between Women and Men (CDEG) and the European Ministerial conferences on Equality between Women and Men.
8. Was informed by the Chair on the activities of the Parliamentary Assembly Committee on Equal Opportunities for Women and Men, the Ad-Hoc Committee on Preventing and Combating Violence against Women and Domestic Violence (CAHVIO) and the monitoring body to the European Convention on Action Against Trafficking in Human Beings (GRETA);
9. Other information
a. Agreed to draw attention to a yet unknown, potentially misogynous group showing up on the web, calling itself the “Sexist Study Group”.
b. Agreed to draw attention to a possible call for a conference on the issue of the burka.