Strasbourg, 3 November 2010
FOR THE ATTENTION OF MEMBERS OF THE SUSTAINABLE TERRITORIAL DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
The Sustainable Territorial Development Committee of the Conference of INGOs, meeting in Strasbourg on 5 October 2010, with Anne-Marie Chavanon in the Chair:
· adopted the agenda unamended [CONF/TER(2010)OJ2]
2. Synopsis of the meeting of 26 January 2010
· adopted the synopsis of the meeting held on 26 January 2010 unamended [CONF/TER(2010)SYN1]
3. The territorial dimension of human rights
· heard Edith Wenger, head of the "biodiversity" taskforce, on the following matters:
o follow-up to the joint declaration, signed in April 2010 by the Presidents of the Parliamentary Assembly, the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities and the Conference of INGOs at the European Biodiversity Day, and subsequently referred to the Committee of Ministers and welcomed by the Bern Convention experts;
o the current work by the Parliamentary Assembly on a review of the application of the Bern Convention (report by Aleksei Lotman);
o the high-level conference in Azerbaijan on the subject “Opportunities for NGO involvement in the work of the Council of Europe”, at which Edith Wenger had represented the Conference of INGOs;
o major environmental meetings which it would be good for the Council of Europe’s elected representatives and NGOs to be involved in including the International Year of Forests-2011, the 40th anniversary of the Ramsar Convention for the protection of wetlands and the ministerial pan-European “Environment for Europe” conference to be held in Astana in Kazakhstan, focusing on the theme “Greening the economy, mainstreaming the environment into economic development”;
· heard an introduction to the subject by Julien Billault-Chaumartin, meteorologist at the French Meteorological Office (Météo-France) and lecturer at IUT Louis Pasteur (Bas-Rhin)
· heard a statement by Alan Meale, Chair of the Sub-Committee on Local and Regional Democracy of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe and participant in the Kyoto and Copenhagen Summits, on "the issues at the forthcoming Cancun Summit";
· took note of the request by Alan Meale, who would be representing the Council of Europe at the Cancun Summit alongside Lord Prescott, for NGOs to get involved in this event so that their voices could be added to those of the Council of Europe's parliamentarians;
· adopted, following the conclusions drawn by Jean-Pierre Ribaut, a declaration on the climate entitled “climate change and biodiversity”; [CONF/TER(2010)DEC3]
· agreed that the English version of the declaration should be forwarded to members for approval by e-mail.
· was informed by Patrice Collignon and Anne-Marie Chavanon about the themes of the event to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the European Landscape Convention in Florence (Italy) on 19 and 20 October 2010;
· adopted a declaration, which would form the Committee’s contribution to the event, and agreed that the English version should be forwarded to members for approval by e-mail [CONF/TER(2010)DEC1].
· took note of the conclusions of the latest Council of Europe Conference of Ministers responsible for Regional/Spatial Planning (CEMAT), held in Moscow on 8 and 9 July 2010, on the theme "Challenges of the Future: Sustainable Spatial Development of the European Continent in a Changing World"; the conclusions were presented by Anne-Marie Chavanon, who had spoken on behalf of the Conference of INGOs at the opening session; [link to her speech]; [link to the Conference declaration];
· heard a speech praising the work of CEMAT by Aleksei Lotman, Chair of the Parliamentary Assembly Committee on the Environment, Agriculture and Local and Regional Affairs, who had attended the Moscow Conference.
4. Presentation of the reform of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe
· discussed the reform of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe with Marité Moras, Secretary of the Committee on Sustainable Development of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe.
5. Item on activities in 2011
· agreed in principle to exchanging e-mails on matters to be dealt with in 2011;
· took note of the posting of texts submitted to the committee and various working documents on the committee blog (http://sustainabledevelopment.unblog.fr)