COMMITTEE ON SOCIAL COHESION AND ERADICATION OF POVERTY
Strasbourg, 2 November 2009
FOR THE ATTENTION OF MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE ON SOCIAL COHESION AND ERADICATION OF POVERTY
The Committee on Social Cohesion and Eradication of Poverty, meeting on 29 September 2009, with Irene Donadio in the chair:
1. adopted the agenda, including an extra item on the presentation of the work of the European Health Committee (CDSP) and its co-operation with the INGO Conference.
2. adopted the synopsis of the meeting held on 24 June 2009 [CONF/SOC(2009)SYN3] after making a number of changes to the part concerning the work of the Working Group on Health Prevention.
3. Presentation of the work of the Working Group on Poverty, Human Rights and the Financial Crisis
On the basis of a memorandum (rapporteur Marie-José Schmitt), adopted a Recommendation to the Committee of Ministers [CONF/PLE(2009)REC8] on poverty in Europe and submitted it for the approval of the plenary session of the Conference of INGOs. For further details, see the synopsis of the plenary session [CONF/PLE(2009)SYN3].
4. Preparation of the World Day against Poverty (17 October 2009)
· Heard a presentation of the activities being conducted by the Council of Europe in the context of Preparation of the World Day against Poverty;
· discussed a proposal to hold a round table on the participation of poor, marginalised people and on the pooling of knowledge, to be organised under the auspices of the Swiss chairmanship of the Council of Europe;
· took note of the presentation by ATD Quart-Monde on its experience in organising this Day and on the methods used to ensure a high level of participation in the event.
5. Presentation of the work of the CDSP and opportunities for co-operating with the INGO Conference
· took note of the presentation by Piotr Mierzewski, Head of the Council of Europe Health Division on the work of the Health Division and of the European Health Committee);
· explored the possibilities of a future partnership and co-operation;
· stressed the importance of the work on health and expressed the hope that the Council of Europe would continue to play an important role in this field.
6. Council of Europe Seminar “At work, but poor and without a voice” (Malta, 14-15 October 2009)
· took note of the presentation by Verena Taylor, Head of the Social Policy Department, on her department’s activities and the ensuing exchange of views which pinpointed the following priorities:
- the work of the European Committee for Social Cohesion (CDCS), in particular the plan to revise the Social Cohesion Strategy;
- the Council of Europe seminar ‘At work, but poor and without a voice’, Malta, 14-15 October 2009, which would be attended by a delegation from the INGO conference.
7. Preparation for the meeting with Regis Brillat, Head of the Department of the European Social Charter and Executive Secretary of the European Committee of Social Rights
. took note of the remark made by Gabriel Nissim, Chair of the Human Rights Committee, underlining the importance of co-operation between the Committee on Social Cohesion and Eradication of Poverty and the Human Rights Committee, in particular with regard to the implementation of the recommendations of the working group on poverty, human rights and the financial crisis.
8. Negotiation of the draft convention to prevent and combat violence against women and domestic violence
· decided that some members of the Committee would prepare a contribution to this new convention, following Karin Nordmeyer’s presentation of the content of the draft convention. The Committee was also informed that the next meeting of the Ad Hoc Committee to prevent and combat violence against women and domestic violence would be held on 3 December 2009;
9. Call for support the UNESCO International Guidelines on Sexuality Education (link)
· decided that the Committee should send a letter to the new Director General of UNESCO expressing its support for the Guidelines
10. Report on Health Prevention
· took note of Guy Schlaeder’s presentation on the progress made in the group’s work and called on the Committee members from Central and East European countries to provide information concerning their countries;
· also noted that the working group was preparing a statement that would be presented in January.
10. Report on the International Forum of social workers of Siberia and the Far East, (Altai Republic, 18-22 August 2009)
· took note of the presentation by Antonina Dashkina, Vice-Chair, on this Forum, which was included in the INGO Conference’s Three-Year Framework Co-operation Programme (2008-2011) on Strengthening Civil Society and Civic Participation in the Russian Federation”. Jean-Marie Heydt, President of the Conference, Irene Donadio, Committee Chair, and Marie Noëlle Cottet-Plantavid of the International Council on Social Welfare, attended the Forum;
· decided to monitor the situation in connection with its minorities programmes in an endeavour to help the population of the Altai Republic, one of the poorest regions in the Russian Federation.
11. Other business
· 17 October 2009, ratification of the revised European Social Charter by the government of the Russian Federation;
· 7-8 December 2009, Conference “Interacting in diversity for social cohesion: frameworks and references to adapt the organisation and competences of social services to the demands of a pluralist society”, to be held by the Council of Europe in Strasbourg;
· May 2010: meeting in Malaga under the auspices of the Spanish Presidency of the European Union in the context of European Year for Combating Poverty and Social Exclusion;
- 17 October 2010: discussion on forthcoming activities to celebrate European Year for Combating Poverty and Social Exclusion.
"This is an unadopted draft document. Under no circumstances shall it be considered binding on the persons referred to therein".