DEMOCRACY, SOCIAL COHESION
AND GLOBAL CHALLENGES COMMITTEE
Strasbourg, 16 January 2012
of the meeting to be held on 26 January 2012
from14.30 to 18.00
Room G03, Agora
1. Opening of the meeting and adoption of the draft agenda
2. Approval of the draft synopsis of the meeting held on 22 June 2011 (CONF/DEM(2011)SYN1)
3. Approval of the 2011 activity report [CONF(2011)RAPACT]
4. Round table: “How should we construct social cohesion in Europe? New Tools "
Introduction by Anne-Marie Chavanon, Chair
- Gilda Farrell, Head of the Social Cohesion, Research and Early-warning Division of the Council of Europe ;
- Bernard Marquet, Vice-chair of the Social, Health and Family Affairs Committee of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, Chair of the Environment and Leaving conditions Committee of the National Council of Monaco ;
- Andrée Buchmann, Member of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities, Vice-President of the Urban Community of Strasbourg (CUS) ;
- Marinette Gonon, Chair of the association « Les 7 Pains ».
5. Major 2012 Global Issues
- The 6th World Water Forum to be held on 12 - 17 March 2012 in Marseille (France). Committee’s Contribution introduced by Edith Wenger, Environment European Bureau (EEB).
- RIO + 20: Committee’s contribution relating to the contribution of NGOs, members of the committee already involved in the consultation process (ATD 4th World).
6. Council of Europe 2012 activities relating to other issues addressed by the committee
- "Territorial democracy: the role of public participation in the process of sustainable territorial development of the European Continent". – 16th session of the Council of Europe Conference of Ministers Responsible for Spatial/Regional Planning (CEMAT) by Maguelonne Déjeant-Pons, Head of the Heritage, Landscape and Technical Assistance Division and Patrice Collignon (RED)
- Other thematic issues to be addressed by the Organisation’s new structures
7. Committee’s working groups’ 2012 activities
7.1 Presentation of the first achievements:
- Presentation of the working frame of the «Declaration/chart on true democracy » by Giuseppe Guarneri, Head of the Ad hoc Working group;
- Introduction to the preliminary draft information report on “Political and social revolution in the Southern Mediterranean countries” by Jean-Pierre Estival, Head of the Ad hoc Working group ;
- Draft resolution and recommendation on «Gender perspectives in political and democratic processes in the MENA Region”» by Anje Wiersinga, Head of the Working group on "Including gender perspectives in political and democratic processes, in particular during and after conflicts” ;
7.2 Information on other Working groups’ programme
7.3 New proposals
8. Committee’s representations
8.1 Reports on past events
- Civil Society Forum "Living Together : combining diversity and freedom in the 21st century Europe”, 13 and 14 November 2011 (Strasbourg - France) by Israël MENSAH, Vice-chair of the Committee :
- «The Multifunctional Landscape» Landscape Workshops, 20-21 October 2011 (Evora - Portugal) by Patrice Collignon ;
- «Sustainable Societies, Responsible Citizens» - 64th annual UNDPI - NGOs Conference 3-6 September 2011 (Bonn – Germany) by Anne-Marie Chavanon ;
- Bonn International Model United Nations (BIMUN) « Promoting equality at work: eradicating gender discrimination » 1st December 2011 (Bonn – Germany) by Vera John-Mikolajewski, Vice- Chair of the Committee.
8.2 Forthcoming activities and appointments
9. Other Business
10. Future meetings