Document VI (in English only) prepared by the Chair of the Civil Society and Democracy Committee
Preparatory documents for the Civil Society and Democracy Committee meeting
Spring session of INGOs, April 2009
Strasbourg, 23rd of March 2009
Proposed paper for discussion
How to measure the impact of the Committee in the Local Democracy Activities of the Council of Europe
The Chair of the Civil Society and Democracy Committee, in her Agenda for the Spring Session, has proposed to measure the impact of the Committee on the work of the Council of Europe. Assessment is always difficult exercise but fundamental one.
It is here proposed a first paper and bullet points for discussion.
1. Verify the coherence/connection between the statements, recommendation and actions of the Committee (and its predecessor) with the policies undertaken by the Council of Europe in Democracy matters (with the different Directorates, among the different pillars and political bodies of the COE)
2. Seen this coherence, what kind of impact it had in reality (eg. Change of legislation in a specific difficult country, evidence of new practices and activities, …)
3. Identification of criteria describing the achievement and the failure.
4. Interviews and direct contacts with key people in the Council of Europe
5. Identification of a person/organisation dedicated in the Committee to follow the on going assessment.