PROMOTION AND IMPLEMENTATION STRATEGY FOR
THE CODE OF GOOD PRACTICE FOR CIVIL PARTICIPATION
IN THE DECISION-MAKING PROCESS
adopted by the Conference of INGOs on 1st October 2009
The Conference of INGO at its 2009 spring session has asked Cyril Ritchie, the Rapporteur on the Code of Good Practice for Civil Participation in the Decision-Making Process “to develop a draft for a strategy to raise awareness among the stakeholders and promote the participation of NGOs in decision-making in European countries through the Code of Good Practice.” In June 2009, this draft has been presented and discussed by the Civil Society and Democracy Committee.
October 2009 – December 20111
1. Conference of INGOs in particular the Civil Society and Democracy Committee with the support of an expert group;
2. Strategic partnerships with European bodies, INGOs and NGOs promoting civil participation/dialogue.
III. Target groups and countries
1. INGOs and NGOs;
2. Local, regional and national authorities: executive and legislative bodies, civil servants;
3. CoE member States and Belarus
IV. Tools for awareness-raising
1. Video spot;
2. Interactive website (linked to the website of the Conference of INGOs);
3. Seminars for multipliers;
4. Brochure with the text of the Code translated in as many European languages as possible;
5. Posters, flyers, banner;
6. Stands during the sessions of Parliamentary Assembly and the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities in Europe, as well as major events outside Strasbourg;
7. Mailing lists for information
8. Presentations by members of the Conference of INGOs and the Secretariat in European and international events;
9. Exhibition of photos or videos on practical examples of civil participation.
V. Tools for implementation
1. Database with examples of good practice;
3. Training modules for trainers.
1. Annual Review Conference;
2. Project for developing benchmarks for participation on the basis of the Code of Good Practice;
3. Informal platform of support for the Code among NGOs and public authorities;
4. A Civil Participation Day (during the session of the Parliamentary Assembly after the end of the Autumn session of the Conference of INGOs);
5. Possibly: transformation of the Code of Good practice developed by the Conference of INGOs into a Council of Europe legal instrument.
VII. Distribution chanels
1. Forum for the Future of Democracy (annual session);
2. Conferences organised in the framework of the forthcoming chairmanships of the Committee of Ministers;
3. European Local Democracy Week (annual session);
4. Invitations to conferences organised by members of the Conference of INGOs;
5. Council of Europe field offices and information centres and national resources centres: translation of the Code in national languages, distribution of materials at national level, national NGO Fairs, links on websites.
1. Ordinary budget ;
2. Voluntary contributions ;
3. In-kind contributions from strategic partners.
1 Timeframe extended to December 2011 by decision of the Conference of INGOs on 6 October 2010.