Freedom of Expression and Freedom of the Media in Albania (JUFREX)
16 Sep 2022 16:10:00
Albanian justice governing bodies discuss communication strategies and standards for increased transparency and communication with the media and publicTirana 14-15 September 2022
CEPEJ Guidelines on communication in the justice sector and key standards on safeguarding freedom...
24 Jun 2022 14:26:00
Moot court competition: university students apply freedom of expression and media standards in a simulated casePogradec 24 June 2022
A trial simulation was organised by ResPublica with university students of law on a case...
07 Jun 2022 15:12:00Albania 2-6 June 2022
Students from the universities of Durrës, Elbasan, and Korçë have discussed ethics in media,...
16 Dec 2021 11:26:00Tirana, Albania 16 December 2021
The growing number of offline and online threats and attacks on journalists and other media...
What is the goal?
- to promote freedom of expression and freedom of the media in Albania in line with Council of Europe standards;
- To increase awareness among members of the judiciary, legal professionals, and police officers of media actors’ rights, duties and responsibilities according to European standards and enact them in their case practice;
- to strengthen the Media Regulator’s professional capacities and independence to contribute to its role in safeguarding freedom of the media;
- to create a media environment which is safer, more pluralistic, and media actors are more aware of their ethical boundaries.
Who benefits from the project?
- national training institutions for legal professionals such as School of Magistrates and Bar Association;
- Albanian Audiovisual Media Authority (AMA);
- Albanian Media Council, ResPublica, Faculty of Law and of Journalism;
- professionals in the field such as judges, prosecutors, police officers, lawyers, journalists, other media actors, university students, and ultimately the Albanian society at large.
How will the project work?
- the capacity building activities for various professional categories adopt an interactive methodology for adult learning and peer-to-peer model, while the strong interconnection between regional and local Actions ensures strengthened cooperation and exchange of good practices and lessons learnt;
- the Action uses an all-inclusive approach in order to generate dialog between the different actors and relevant stakeholders;
- the action is structured upon three main components addressing specific target groups: (I) judiciary, legal professionals and law enforcement; (II) Media Regulatory Authorities; (III) journalists, other media actors and students.
What do we expect to achieve?
- members of the judiciary, legal professionals and police officers improve application of European Convention on Human Rights standards and the European Court of Human Rights case-law on freedom of expression and freedom of the media;
- the professional capacities of the Albanian Audiovisual Media Authority (AMA) are strengthened and media community has greater confidence in AMA in terms of safeguarding freedom of media while maintaining independence and impartiality;
- media actors, parliamentarians, universities, other relevant stakeholders contribute to an enabling environment for freedom of expression and freedom of the media.
How much will it cost?
- total budget of the Action: 415,000 EUR;
- budget allocated to the overall Horizontal Facility programme: 41 Million EUR (85% funded by the European Union, 15% by the Council of Europe).
How to get more information?
- Directorate General I: Human Rights and Rule of Law: https://www.coe.int/en/web/freedom-expression/jufrex-2
- Cesare Pitea, Programme Manager, [email protected], +333 90 215 076
- Erkanda Bujari, Senior Project Officer, [email protected], +355 445 40 223
- Horizontal Facility website: https://pjp-eu.coe.int/en/web/horizontal-facility/home
- Marija Simić, Horizontal Facility Communication Officer, [email protected], +381 63 601 337
- Besnik Baka, Horizontal Facility Communication Officer, [email protected], +355 69 217 8430
This webpage has been produced using funds of a joint project between the European Union and the Council of Europe. The views expressed herein can in no way be taken to reflect the official opinion of the European Union.