Freedom of Expression and Freedom of the Media in Albania (JUFREX)
10 Sep 2021 12:33:00
Media regulatory authorities in the Western Balkans discuss on their role in the new media paradigmsBudva, Montenegro 9-10 September 2021
In order to discuss and exchange views on the role of the national media regulatory authorities...
16 Jul 2021 13:12:0012-16 July 2021
An online Regional Summer School on European standards: freedom of expression and freedom of the...
18 Jun 2021 12:23:00Tirana 16 June 2021
The publication “Media regulatory authorities and media pluralism” is a result of co-operation...
15 Jun 2021 13:39:00Tirana 14-15 June 2021
Balancing access to information and the right to privacy, impartiality of the court and the...
What is the goal?
- to promote freedom of expression and freedom of the media in Albania in line with Council of Europe standards;
- To increase awareness among members of the judiciary, legal professionals, and police officers of media actors’ rights, duties and responsibilities according to European standards and enact them in their case practice;
- to strengthen the Media Regulator’s professional capacities and independence to contribute to its role in safeguarding freedom of the media;
- to create a media environment which is safer, more pluralistic, and media actors are more aware of their ethical boundaries.
Who benefits from the project?
- national training institutions for legal professionals such as School of Magistrates and Bar Association;
- Albanian Audiovisual Media Authority (AMA);
- Albanian Media Council, ResPublica, Faculty of Law and of Journalism;
- professionals in the field such as judges, prosecutors, police officers, lawyers, journalists, other media actors, university students, and ultimately the Albanian society at large.
How will the project work?
- the capacity building activities for various professional categories adopt an interactive methodology for adult learning and peer-to-peer model, while the strong interconnection between regional and local Actions ensures strengthened cooperation and exchange of good practices and lessons learnt;
- the Action uses an all-inclusive approach in order to generate dialog between the different actors and relevant stakeholders;
- the action is structured upon three main components addressing specific target groups: (I) judiciary, legal professionals and law enforcement; (II) Media Regulatory Authorities; (III) journalists, other media actors and students.
What do we expect to achieve?
- members of the judiciary, legal professionals and police officers improve application of European Convention on Human Rights standards and the European Court of Human Rights case-law on freedom of expression and freedom of the media;
- the professional capacities of the Albanian Audiovisual Media Authority (AMA) are strengthened and media community has greater confidence in AMA in terms of safeguarding freedom of media while maintaining independence and impartiality;
- media actors, parliamentarians, universities, other relevant stakeholders contribute to an enabling environment for freedom of expression and freedom of the media.
How much will it cost?
- total budget of the Action: 415,000 EUR;
- budget allocated to the overall Horizontal Facility programme: 41 Million EUR (85% funded by the European Union, 15% by the Council of Europe).
How to get more information?
- Directorate General I: Human Rights and Rule of Law: https://www.coe.int/en/web/freedom-expression/jufrex-2
- Martina Silvestri, Programme Manager, Martina.SILVESTRI@coe.int, +333 90 216 339
- Erkanda Bujari, Senior Project Officer, Erkanda.BUJARI@coe.int, +355 44540223
- Horizontal Facility website: https://pjp-eu.coe.int/en/web/horizontal-facility/home
- Marija Simić, Horizontal Facility Communication Officer, Marija.SIMIC@coe.int, +381 63 601 337
- Besnik Baka, Horizontal Facility Communication Officer, Besnik.Baka@coe.int, +355 69 217 8430
This webpage has been produced using funds of a joint project between the European Union and the Council of Europe. The views expressed herein can in no way be taken to reflect the official opinion of the European Union.