Promotion of diversity and equality in Albania
16 Dec 2020 09:43:00Western Balkans 16 December 2020
Hate speech is on the rise across Europe, jeopardising social cohesion and putting human rights...
18 Nov 2020 09:02:00Tirana, Albania 18 November 2020
On 15 October 2020 the Parliament of Albania adopted the changes to the Law on “Protection from...
11 May 2020 09:39:00Tirana, Albania 11 May 2020
The action on “Promotion of Diversity and Equality in Albania” under the EU/CoE “Horizontal...
30 Apr 2020 13:40:00Tirana 30 April 2020
The difficult situation caused by the spread COVID-19 outbreak, is even more dramatic for the...
What is the goal?
- To strengthen the capacity of stakeholders to address national minority protection and promotion, protection of LGBTI rights and combating hate speech in line with the standards and recommendations set by the Council of Europe – especially those of the European Commission on Racism and Intolerance (ECRI) and from the Advisory Committee of the Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities (FCNM).
- The Action also aims at supporting Albania’s accession negotiations with the European Union in the field of fundamental rights.
Who benefits from the Action?
- the citizens of Albania
- public authorities, especially equality bodies
- education professionals, students
- civil society organisations engaged in promoting and protecting human rights
How will the Action work?
- at the policy and legislative level will support the authorities to enhance the compatibility of the legislation
- at the capacity building level will enhance the implementation of the relevant laws/strategic documents, their monitoring and the data collection and analysis
- by raising awareness of the dangers posed by hate speech
- by strengthening cooperation and synergies among Western Balkan equality bodies and/or national human rights institutions, and their interaction with civil society organizations
- by ensuring a gender sensitive approach
What do we expect to achieve?
- to improve the record of implementation of anti-discrimination policies and legislation, at the central and local level (especially on protection of the rights of LGBTI persons, and on combating hate speech/hate crime);
- to enhance the dialogue and cooperation between institutions and civil society organizations in promoting and protecting human rights;
- to strengthen the awareness of citizens on their rights and mechanisms to defend them
- Ultimately, to achieve better protection of human rights of the citizens of Albania and build a more diverse, equal and tolerant society.
How much will it cost?
- the total budget of the Action is 400.000 EUR
- the budget allocated to the overall Horizontal Facility programme amounts to ca. 41 Million EUR (85% funded by the European Union, 15% by the Council of Europe)
How to get more information?
- Council of Europe, website of the Anti-discrimination Department: www.coe.int/antidiscrimination
- Social media: www.facebook.com/coeantidiscrimination
- Horizontal Facility website: https://pjp-eu.coe.int/en/web/horizontal-facility/home
- Iva Çoku, Project Officer, Iva.COKU@coe.int, +355 69 558 6499
- Marija Simić, Horizontal Facility Communication Officer, Marija.SIMIC@coe.int, +381 63 601 337
Besnik Baka, Horizontal Facility Communication Officer, Besnik.BAKA@coe.int, +355 69 217 8430
*This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo Declaration of Independence.
This webpage has been produced using funds of a joint project between the European Union and the Council of Europe. The views expressed herein can in no way be taken to reflect the official opinion of the European Union.