Action against Economic Crime in Albania
10 May 2022 10:15:00
Albanian authorities become better equipped to implement the recommendations of GRECO and to report progressTirana 10 May 2022
The evaluations and subsequent recommendations of the Council of Europe’s anti-corruption...
28 Feb 2022 16:00:00
Electronic System of Declaration of Assets and Conflict of Interests – preventing corruption through increased transparency of assetsTirana 28 February 2022
The operationalisation of the Electronic System of Declaration of Assets and Conflict of...
15 Dec 2021 19:36:00
Improving the electoral campaign finances and decriminalisation process in view of the future election reform in AlbaniaTirana 15 December 2021
Political commitment to fully implement electoral legislation in good faith is a basic element of...
03 Dec 2021 14:11:00Tirana, Albania 3 December 2021
On 1-3 December, 170 representatives from related public institutions enhanced their capacities...
What is the goal?
The Action against Economic Crime in Albania (AEC-AL) aims to contribute to strengthening anti-corruption and anti-money laundering and countering terrorist financing regimes in accordance with European and other international standards, and thus increase the trust in the rule of law and democracy in Albania. More specifically, the Action will support the authorities in the effective implementation of recent key recommendations of the monitoring bodies of the Council of Europe such as the Committee of Experts on the Evaluation of Anti-Money Laundering Measures and the Financing of Terrorism (MONEYVAL) and Group of States against Corruption (GRECO) as well as contribute to tailored reform processes in the country.
Who benefits from the project?
The Action will work closely with various beneficiaries and counterparts in governmental bodies at all levels, specialised agencies and supervisory bodies including:
- Parliament of Albania
- Ministry of Justice; Ministry of Interior; Ministry of Finance; Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs, Prime Minister’s Office
- the High Inspectorate on Declaration and Audit of Assets and Conflicts of Interest (HIDAACI)
- Central Election Commission
- Judicial and Prosecutorial Services
- General Directorate for the Prevention of Money Laundering
- Albanian Financial Supervisory Authority
- Bank of Albania
- Albanian citizens, civil society organisations and private sector
How will the project work?
Assistance provided through the Action will be delivered by dispatching a mix of advisory and capacity building interventions, tailored to the specific needs of beneficiaries and building on the results achieved in the implementation of Horizontal Facility Phase I (2016-2019). More concretely the Action will focus on supporting the authorities in several directions including:
- strengthening of legislation and regulatory frameworks;
- institutional capacity building;
- enhanced inter-agency and international cooperation.
What do we expect to achieve?
The Action is expected to achieve key results in supporting the authorities in several directions including:
- improved legislation and institutional framework to prevent and combat corruption, money laundering and countering terrorist financing;
- strengthened asset recovery and management practices;
- effective mechanisms to prevent and suppress money laundering and terrorist financing are in place;
- boosted inter-institutional cooperation and coordination in combating economic crime.
How much will it cost?
- the total budget of the Action is 800.000 EUR;
- the budget allocated to the overall Horizontal Facility programme amounts to ca. 41 Million EUR (85% funded by the European Union, 15% by the Council of Europe).
How do we get more information?
- Economic Crime and Cooperation Division website:
www.coe.int/econcrime and Action against Economic Crime specific website: www.coe.int/HF-II-AEC
- Horizontal Facility website: https://pjp-eu.coe.int/en/web/horizontal-facility/home
- Marija Simić, Horizontal Facility Communication Officer, [email protected], +381 63 601 337
- Besnik Baka, Horizontal Facility Communication Officer, [email protected], +355 69 217 8430
This webpage has been produced using funds of a joint project between the European Union and the Council of Europe. The views expressed herein can in no way be taken to reflect the official opinion of the European Union.