Democratic Schools Network
The project “Free to Speak, Safe to Learn - Democratic Schools for All” (2018-2022) supported schools across Europe in building and maintaining democratic culture.
On the whole, the project aimed to:
- Identify successful democratic practices to show how schools move from theory and policy to practice.
- Promote the sharing of expertise and provide networking opportunities for schools.
- Help schools implement projects and initiatives that favour inclusion and freedom of speech in safe learning environments.
- Further develop the democratic engagement and competences of children and young people.
- Support the use of the Reference Framework of Competences for Democratic Culture in practice.
- Empower schools to tackle key challenges in the classroom using both existing and new tools.
- Establish a network of democratic schools recognised by the Council of Europe.
- Highlight the benefits to society of human rights and citizenship education in building inclusive and sustainable democracies.
The six main themes of the project “Free to Speak, Safe to Learn - Democratic Schools for All”