Seminar "Intercultural Dialogue on the University Campus”
4 - 5 March 2008 - Council of Europe, Strasbourg
The Third Summit of the Heads of State and Government of the Member States of the Council of Europe, which took place in Warsaw on 16-17 May 2005, has made Intercultural Dialogue one of the priorities of the Council of Europe for the coming years.
The Action Plan, adopted in Warsaw, states: “We shall systematically encourage intercultural and inter-faith dialogue, based on universal human rights, as a means of promoting awareness, understanding, reconciliation and tolerance, as well as preventing conflicts and ensuring integration and the cohesion of society”.
As a contribution to the transversal Council of Europe programme on Intercultural Dialogue, we are pleased to announce the launching of a new project: “Promoting Intercultural Dialogue in the European Higher Education Area”.
The project will be carried out in three phases, each of which will highlight different facets of the topic and will be centred around a major conference.
The first seminar within this new project will address “Intercultural Dialogue on the University Campus”. It will be held on 4-5 March 2008 at the Council of Europe headquarters in Strasbourg. This event is expected to gather around 150 experts, interested stakeholders and representatives from 49 European states party to the European Cultural Convention as well as other countries, international organisations and higher education community.
The seminar will give rise to a publication in the Council of Europe Higher Education Series and will also provide important input to a policy-document to be integrated into the Bologna Process.
Background report by Edo Poglia
General report by Bernd Wächter
- Conferences / Forums
- Conference "Higher Education for Diversity, Social Inclusion, and Community: A Democratic Imperative"
- Conference “Higher Education for Democratic Innovation”
- Conference “Reimagining Democratic Societies: A New Era of Personal and Social Responsibility?”
- Seminar "Universities as Promoters of Intercultural Dialogue in Multicultural Societies"
- Conference “Universities as Actors of Intercultural Dialogue in Wider Society”
- Forum "Converging Competences: Diversity, Higher Education, and Sustainable Democracy"
- Seminar "Intercultural Dialogue on the University Campus”
- Conference "New Challenges to European Higher Education – Managing the Complexities of a Globalized Society"
- Forum on Qualifications Frameworks
- Forum "The Legitimacy of Quality Assurance in Higher Education"
- Forum "The Responsibility of Higher Education for a Democratic Culture"
- Forum "Higher Education Governance"