UNGASS 2021 - Side Event - 2 June 2021
Side Event co-organised by GRECO and UN DESA on the theme of “Building Transparent, Accountable and Inclusive Institutions” at the Special Session of the General Assembly against Corruption 2021
The Group of States against Corruption of the Council of Europe (GRECO) and the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA) through its Division for Public Institutions and Digital Government (DPIDG) organised, on 2 June 2021, a Side Event on the theme of “Building Transparent, Accountable and Inclusive Institutions” at the Special Session of the General Assembly against Corruption 2021.
The Side Event showcased the importance of building transparent, accountable and inclusive institutions to foster effective governance, prevent corruption and gain public trust. The event featured interventions and discussion on the experience gained by the hosting organisations in strengthening integrity in the public sector, including by reflecting on specific initiatives and good practices.
UN DESA presented its Curriculum on Governance for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Toolkit on Transparency, Accountability and Ethics in Public Institutions that aim to build the capacities of governments and public servants in these areas. Participants also heard about the United Nations Public Service Award (UNPSA) from one of its winners. GRECO reflected on the lessons learned from its monitoring experience and the resulting recommendations to prevent corruption and promote integrity in all three branches of government. Implementation of such measures acquires even greater importance in times of emergency. The pivotal role of oversight bodies, in particular, anti-corruption agencies and supreme audit institutions, in relation to the proper management of public affairs and public property, was also addressed.
The event brought together about 200 attendees, including government representatives as well as the private sector, civil society organisations, and academics. The event was held in English.
- Concept Note/Agenda
- Bios of Speakers
- GRECO Communication on the special session of the UN General Assembly on corruption
- UNGASS 2021 - Statement by GRECO President Marin Mrčela
Presentations by speakers
- Mr. Marin Mrcela, President of the Group of States against Corruption of the Council of Europe (GRECO) [Presentation Statement]
- Ms. Lamia Moubayed Bissat, Director, Institut des Finances Basil Fuleihan, Ministry of Finance, Lebanon and Member of the UN Committee of Experts on Public Administration (CEPA) [Presentation]
- Mr. Md. Mustafizur Rahman, Secretary of the Ministry of Land, Bangladesh [Presentation]
- Ms. Laura Valli, Board member of the Anti-Corruption Authority (ANAC), Italy [Presentation]
- Ms. Arantxa Guillán Montero, Senior Governance and Public Administration Officer, Division for Public Institutions and Digital Government, UN DESA [Presentation]
- Ms. Anni Haataja, Governance and Public Administration Officer, Division for Public Institutions and Digital Government, UN DESA [Presentation]
- Ms. Hanne Juncher, Executive Secretary of the Group of States against Corruption of the Council of Europe (GRECO) [Presentation Statement]