Programme in Armenia
Long-term electoral assistance to the election related stakeholders
The project “Long-term electoral assistance to the election related stakeholders of Armenia” is a part of the Programmatic Cooperation Framework for Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Republic of Moldova, Ukraine and Belarus (PCF), which have been launched by the European Union and the Council of Europe in April 2014. The PCF aims to promote human rights, democracy and the rule of law in the EU’s Eastern Partnership countries.
In Armenia, the Council of Europe develops bilateral activities with a view to ensuring the effective implementation of the principles of the European electoral heritage, relying notably on capacity building and awareness raising activities involving both the competent authorities and civil society. The project will run from January 2016 to June 2017.
What are the project objectives?
- to enhance capacities of the Central Election Commission and electoral commissions at all levels to organise elections in line with international standards
- to improve observation of elections at national level
- to increase participation of first time voters in the election process
- to increase participation of women as voters and candidates
- to increase transparency of the campaign finance procedures and financing of political parties
What are the project activities?
Some activities, which will be organised:
- training sessions and workshops for the Central Election Commission and electoral commissions
- Conferences and awareness raising actions focusing political participation of women and first time voters
- Peer-to-peer exchange within a mixed study visit to Eastern Partnership country
Who are our partners?
The project will work through bilateral and multilateral exchanges of experience at national and international level in cooperation with the Central Election Commission of Armenia, NGOs network for election observation and its members, political parties, and journalists among others in order to increase effectiveness and maximise the impact of the activities.