Capacity building and co-operation programmes
Through capacity building and co-operation programmes, the Education Department aims to increase the capacity of national education systems to provide quality education, develop competences for a democratic culture, fight discrimination, support integrity and transparency in education and combat extremism and violence in schools.
All programmes are based on the policy work of the Council of Europe, tailored to the specific needs of each country.
Projects and activities are implemented within several frameworks, including the Council of Europe ordinary budget, joint programmes with the European Union and the EEA/Norway grants.
- Available for 50 countries, the European Union-Council of Europe Joint Programme "Democratic and Inclusive School Culture in Operation (DISCO)" is a programme to support countries which wish to work together on specific issues in the area of democratic citizenship and human rights education.
- In South-East Europe, seven education programmes focus on democratic competences and anti-corruption measures within the European Union - Council of Europe Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Turkey.
- The European Qualifications Passport for Refugees (EQPR) is a Council of Europe initiative supported by partners from nine countries and the UNHCR aiming at facilitating the recognition of refugees’ qualifications even in the absence of full documentation. The EQPR is a document that can be used by refugees when they seek to enter the job market or to access further studies.
- In Turkey, the European Union/Council of Europe Joint Project “Generation Democracy: Strengthening a Culture of Democracy in Basic Education Institutions in Turkey” aims at integrating a democratic school culture into the Turkish national education system.
- In Kosovo*, the Project “Fostering rapprochement through education for democracy and language learning (FRED)” co-funded by Norway and the Council of Europe aims at fostering rapprochement by promoting language learning and the development of competences for democratic cooperation.
- The Council of Europe provided strategic advice and support to the EEA/Norway grant programme area “Children and Youth at Risk” in Bulgaria, Romania and the Slovak Republic.
- Finally, targeted, strategic approach is offered to countries upon request and available resources.
Future programmes are currently being negotiated to continue to support member states implement Council of Europe standards and policies in the education sector.
* All references to Kosovo, whether to the territory, institutions or population, shall be understood in full compliance with United Nations Security Council Resolution 1244 and without prejudice to the status of Kosovo.
- Capacity building
- Current Projects
- Joint Programme "Democratic and Inclusive School Culture in Operation" (DISCO)
- EEA/Norway Grants
- European Qualifications Passport for Refugees
- Fostering rapprochement through education for democracy and language learning (FRED)
- Joint EU/CoE Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Turkey
- EU/CoE Joint Project "Generation Democracy: Strengthening a Culture of Democracy in Basic Education Institutions in Turkey"
- Previous Projects
- Current Projects