Democracy Starts in Schools
The project "Democracy Starts in Schools – Engaging School Children in Decision Making Processes in Schools and Communities" in Georgia is implemented by the Council of Europe and funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC).
- To strengthen democracy in Georgia through the increased participation of young people in decision-making processes at the local level through democratic citizenship education and practices in schools.
- Educational institutions and educational staff develop school children’s competences for democratic culture.
- Schoolgirls and schoolboys exercise their democratic rights and responsibilities by participating in the decision-making processes in their schools and communities.
- Policy recommendations on strengthening the legislative and policy framework for the democratic governance of schools will be developed jointly with the Ministry of Education and Science and other stakeholders.
- Methodological guidelines on strengthening democratic school governance in schools will be developed and piloted in 20 schools.
- Capacity building: a professional development programme (training, mentoring and peer exchange) for school directors and teachers on democratic citizenship education and democratic school governance will be developed and delivered in 25 schools.
- School projects: schools will partner with civil society organisations and other community stakeholders to develop and implement projects linked to learning outcomes and addressing key problems in the community through a small grants scheme for civil society organisations.
- School study visit and student peer exchanges: best practices in democratic school governance will be shared within one study visit by Georgian school teams to Moldova, and two summer academies for a total of 60 school children on democracy and human rights and project management will be organized.
- A national Democratic and Inclusive School Network for sharing and promoting best practices in democratic school governance will be set up.
- Awareness-raising: a national conference to launch the project will be organized and school children will peer exchange and showcase their projects within a national conference on the participation of school children in their schools and communities.
The Project is financed by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) and will be implemented by the Council of Europe in cooperation with the Ministry of Education and Science of Georgia from March 2022 to December 2023.
- Capacity building
- Current Projects
- European Qualifications Passport for Refugees
- Quality Education for All - Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Quality Education for All - Montenegro
- Quality education for all – Serbia
- Strengthening Democratic Citizenship Education in Albania
- INCLUDE - Building Capacity for Inclusion in Education
- Strengthening Democratic Culture in Basic Education
- Education for Democracy in the Republic of Moldova
- Democracy Starts in Schools
- EEA/Norway Grants
- Best Practice Programme in Promoting Academic Integrity
- Previous Projects
- Current Projects