13th Conference of the Council of Europe of Ministers Responsible for Spatial Planning (CEMAT)
Implementation of strategies and visions for sustainable spatial development of the European continent
Ljubljana, Slovenia, 16-17 September 2003
The 13th European Conference of Ministers responsible for Regional Planning (CEMAT), organised by the Council of Europe and held in Ljubljana, Slovenia, on 16 and 17 September 2003, was one of the main political events in the context of sustainable spatial development and implementation of the Guiding Principles for Sustainable Spatial Development of the European Continent (Recommendation Rec(2002)1 adopted on 30 January 2002 by the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe).
The aim of the ministerial conference was to review the measures taken to implement the Guiding Principles and to promote transnational and inter-regional co-operation through development projects. Delegates also considered means of promoting and implementing the Guiding Principles by establishing legal provisions and effective policies as well as innovative strategies with regard to territorial planning and management.
The general theme and sub-themes of the conference were as follows:
- General theme: Implementation of strategies and visions for sustainable spatial development of the European continent
- Sub-theme 1: Europe in the world and the integration of the continent
- Sub-theme 2: Implementation of the principles for sustainable territorial development
- Sub-theme 3: Trans-European co-operation
- Resolution No. 1 on public–private partnerships in spatial development policy
- Resolution No. 2 on the training of authorities responsible for sustainable development
- Resolution No. 3 on prevention of floods and better co-ordination of all activities designed to minimise the risks and consequences of disastrous floods
- Resolution No. 4 on the terms of reference of the Committee of Senior Officials of CEMAT and its bureau
- Resolution No. 5 on the organisation of the 14th session of the European Conference of Ministers responsible for Spatial Planning
- Ljubljana Declaration on the territorial dimension of sustainable development