At their 1380th meeting, on 1 July 2020, the Ministers’ Deputies held an exchange of views on the lessons learned in effectively responding to a sanitary crisis in full respect for human rights and the principles of democracy and the rule of law.
They adopted the following texts:
- a recommendation on the inclusion of the history of Roma and/or Travellers[*] The term “Roma and Travellers” is used at the Council of Europe to encompass the wide diversity of the groups covered by the work of the Council of Europe in this field: on the one hand a) Roma, Sinti/Manush, Calé, Kaale, Romanichals, Boyash/Rudari; b) Balkan Egyptians (Egyptians and Ashkali); c) Eastern groups (Dom, Lom and Abdal); and, on the other hand, groups such as Travellers, Yenish, and the populations designated under the administrative term “Gens du voyage”, as well as persons who identify themselves as Gypsies. The present is an explanatory note, not a definition of Roma and/or Travellers.in school curricula and teaching materials [more information …];
- a recommendation updating the European Prison Rules [more information …];
- a recommendation on the practical application of the Convention on the Transfer of Sentenced Persons and its Additional Protocol;
- a tool for the preliminary evaluation of the risk that a terrorist attack may be carried out by radicalised persons;
- a resolution amending the statute of the Committee of Experts on the Evaluation of Anti-Money Laundering Measures and the Financing of Terrorism (MONEYVAL).
The Deputies decided to extend the mandate of the current Deputy Secretary General, Gabriella Battaini-Dragoni, until the end of the month following the election of her successor as, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, her successor will not be appointed before her mandate expires on 31 August 2020.