The action “Fostering women's access to justice in Türkiye” (WA2J Türkiye) contributes to enhancing accessibility and quality of legal aid services for women and supporting key stakeholders, including civil society, as well as to increase legal awareness and literacy among women in Türkiye.
This action is implemented within the joint programme of the European Union and the Council of Europe “Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Türkiye” running from 2023 until 2026.
What are the goals and objectives of the action?
- enhancing accessibility and gender responsiveness of legal aid services
- increasing awareness and knowledge among key stakeholders to support women's access to justice
- improving local mechanisms to provide legal support and services for women
- increasing legal awareness among women, especially those in disadvantaged and vulnerable situation
Who benefits from the action?
- Union of Turkish Bar Associations
- local bar associations and legal aid centres
- University law faculties and law students
- civil society organisations active in promoting women's rights and gender equality
- women in Türkiye, particularly those in vulnerable and disadvantaged situation facing difficulties in accessing justice, legal aid, legal assistance and information
How does the action work?
- the action builds on the results of co-operation under the previous Horizontal Facility action – “Fostering women’s access to justice in Turkey” and continues to build local capacity to achieve a gender responsive legal aid and establish local networks to support and inform women in their access to available remedies, services and to justice
- it works through capacity building of legal professionals to increase women’s access to legal aid services and improve the quality and gender sensitivity of these services
- the action facilitates dialogue among key stakeholders and promotes multi-stakeholder partnerships to support women
- it empowers women, including from vulnerable or disadvantaged groups, to claim their rights and report violations by supporting civil society organisations
What do we expect to achieve?
- women, including from vulnerable or disadvantaged groups, are more aware of their rights and how to resort to available remedies and services
- increased awareness and knowledge among key legal professionals on gender responsive and victim-centred support to women’s access to justice
- enhanced quality and gender responsiveness of legal aid services
- fostered co-operation among key stakeholders and local support networks
- tools, programmes and materials developed by civil society organisations to support and promote women’s access to justice
What is the budget of the action?
The total budget of the action is 1 000 000 EUR.
The budget allocated to the overall Horizontal Facility programme amounts to ca. 41 million EUR (85% funded by the European Union, 15% by the Council of Europe).
How to get more information?
- Capacity Building and Co-operation Projects Unit at the Council of Europe’s Gender Equality Division
- Horizontal Facility website and e-mail address
About Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Türkiye
The “Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Türkiye” is a joint initiative of the European Union and the Council of Europe that enables the Western Balkans Beneficiaries and Türkiye to meet their reform agendas in the fields of human rights, rule of law and democracy and to comply with the European standards, which is also a priority for the EU enlargement process.