The “Action against money laundering in Türkiye” aims at achieving tangible results towards reinforcing the effectiveness of the response to money laundering and terrorist financing in Türkiye. The main axis of the action is a continued focus on policy measures as well as improvement of the track record in processing cases of money laundering.
This action is implemented within the joint programme of the European Union and the Council of Europe “Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Türkiye”, running from 2023 until 2026.
What is the goal and objective of the action?
It aims at supporting the efforts of the national authorities in enhancing the effectiveness of measures and following up on evolving EU acquis in the areas of anti-money laundering and counter terrorism financing.
Who benefits from the action?
- Financial Crimes Investigation Board (MASAK);
- Law enforcement authorities: Turkish National Police (TNP), General Command of the Gendarmerie, The Coast Guard, Customs Enforcement; Prosecutors;
- Supervisory authorities: Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency, Capital Markets Board, Ministry of Treasury and Finance
- people of Türkiye
How does the action work?
- by providing guidance and capacity-building and
- by raising awareness of good practices in the EU Member States, the action will provide pathways to the authorities to ensure prevention and control of money laundering and terrorist financing in accordance with the international standards and the EU acquis
What do we expect to achieve?
- strengthened management of money laundering and terrorist financing risks through preventive measures and
- enhanced capacity to fight economic crime through the effective use of financial intelligence
- enhanced asset recovery mechanisms
What is the budget of the action?
The total budget of the action is 545 000 Euros.
The budget allocated to the overall Horizontal Facility programme amounts to ca. 41 Million EUR (85% funded by the European Union, 15% by the Council of Europe).
How to get more information?
- Council of Europe: Economic Crime and Co-operation Division
- Horizontal Facility website and e-mail address
About Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Türkiye
The “Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Türkiye” is a joint initiative of the European Union and the Council of Europe that enables the Western Balkans Beneficiaries and Türkiye to meet their reform agendas in the fields of human rights, rule of law and democracy and to comply with the European standards, which is also a priority for the EU enlargement process.