Democratic Citizenship and Human Rights Education
The EU-CoE Joint Project aims to increase the institutional capacity of the Ministry of National Education (MoNE) on EDC/HRE through: developing and revising legislation and curricula on EDC/HRE and redesigning existing elective course on EDC/HRE in secondary school; producing educational materials; increasing the capacity of the Ministry of National Education (MoNE) personnel and awareness on EDC/HRE of pre-school, primary school and secondary school communities (such as teachers, pupils, students, non-teaching staff, parents and community leaders) and fostering a democratic school culture from preschool to the end of the secondary education and preparing the “Democratic School Competence Framework”.
Total duration of the Project
48 months (June 2011 – May 2015) (including a one-year extension)
Board of Education, Ministry of National Education
Target group(s) :
Education policy makers and practitioners (provincial directorates of education, local authorities, legislative experts, teaching and non-teaching school staff, textbook writers and evaluators, curriculum developers, inspectors, teacher trainers), school family unions and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) working in the field of education.
Pupils/students and parents.
Republic of Turkey and more specifically the following provinces: Edirne, Elazığ, İstanbul, Konya, Manisa, Mardin, Sakarya, Mersin, Samsun, Yozgat.
- Activity 1: Analysing and strengthening education legislation (regulations, by-laws and directives) based upon the principals of EDC/HRE through a comprehensive process of analysis, research, study visits and consultations both within the Board of Education (BoE) and the public.
- Activity 2: Analysing and strengthening curricula based upon the principles of EDC/HRE.
- Activity 3: Redesigning the curriculum of the existing elective course and course book on EDC/HRE in secondary education, reviewing following national implementation, the new compulsory course and course book on EDC/HRE in primary education, in order to make the two curricula complementary and ensure progression, and reviewing and revising the preparatory programme for teachers in relation to EDC/HRE.
- Activity 4: Developing and piloting awareness-raising and educational materials on EDC/HRE in pilot schools and revising them according to the results of the pilot implementation.
- Activity 5: Training of MoNE personnel to raise their capacity on EDC/HRE, developing training programmes and materials to be used by teacher trainers to train other teachers and increasing awareness level of the school community through in-service trainings and information meetings.
- Activity 6: Developing and piloting a Democratic School Competence Framework and the accompanying manual in pilot schools and promoting Democratic School Culture from pre-school to the end of secondary education through school-based trainings.
- Activity 7: Developing a comprehensive communication strategy and increasing the level of awareness of the public through launching and closing events, seminars, a website dedicated to the project and promoting the accompanying Grant Scheme Programme through information meetings in pilot provinces.
Expected Result 1
Education legislation (regulation, by-laws and directives) and the existing curricula are analysed and strengthened and the curriculum of the existing elective course and course book on EDC/HRE are redesigned at secondary level in the light of EDC/HRE.
Expected Result 2
Awareness- raising and educational materials on EDC/HRE are developed and introduced in pilot schools and revised.
Expected Result 3
Basic skills and knowledge of MoNE personnel and concerned groups developed on EDC/HRE through awareness-raising activities and trainings.
Expected Result 4
Democratic School Culture is promoted and Democratic School Competence Framework and Manual are prepared.