Strasbourg, 22 October 2012
CONSULTATIVE COUNCIL OF EUROPEAN JUDGES
“How to better organise the relations between judges and lawyers
in order to improve the provision of justice”
Paris, 7 November 2012
« Maison du Barreau », 2 rue de Harley, 75001 Paris: (Auditorium, 9h-18h)
European conference organised
by the Consultative Council of European Judges and the Paris Bar
9:00 – 9:30 Opening of the Conference
· Ms Christiane FÉRAL‐SCHUHL (France), President of the Paris Bar
· Mr Gerhard REISSNER (Austria), President of the CCJE, First Vice-President of the International Association of Judges
9:30 – 11:00 Theme No. I - Is there a common ethic to judges and lawyers?
Moderator: Julia LAFFRANQUE (Estonia), Judge at the European Court of Human Rights
(What are the fundamental principles/values governing the ethical conducts of each profession? Opportunity of a common code or a guide on joint actions)
9:30 – 10:15 Presentations by judges and lawyers
· Mr Bernard CORBOZ (Switzerland), federal judge, Federal Court of Lausanne
· Mr Georges-Albert DAL (Belgium), former President of the Brussels Bar, former President of the Council of Bars and Law Societies of Europe (CCBE)
10:15 – 11:00 Discussion
11:00 – 11:15 Coffee break
11:15 – 12:45 Theme No. 2 - Is a joint training appropriate?
Moderator: Mr Jean-Michel DARROIS (France), Lawyer, Professor at the Paris Institute of Political Studies (Institut d’Etudes politiques de Paris), Former President of the Commission Darrois on the reform of the legal profession of lawyers.
(Presentation of the existing programmes of common training of judges/lawyers in Europe; should the existing trend be intensified? Common initial/continuous training with a common core module and specific branches? Towards a common recruitment procedure? The idea of belonging to a single system, discussion forum outside court; conditions of common training: cost, content of the programmes etc.)
11:15 – 12:00 Presentations by judges and lawyers
12:00 – 12:45 Discussion
12:45 – 14:00 Lunch
14:00 – 15:30 Theme No. 3 – Towards a shared efficiency of the judicial system?
Moderator: Ms Emmanuelle HOFFMANN (France), Lawyer at the Court, Member of the Council of the Bar
(A different functioning of courts with a view to efficiency of the procedure; development of systems of communication between judges and lawyers; common management of procedures (pre-trial, audience schedules etc.); negotiation of the procedural steps (conventions regarding pleading/procedural documents, way to present conclusions, protocols of good conduct); efficiency and binding value of those agreements)
14:00 – 14:45 Presentations of judges and lawyers
· Ms Jana WURSTOVÁ (Czech Republic), Lawyer of the International Department of the Czech Bar Association
14:45 – 15:30 Discussion
15:30 – 15:45 Coffee break
15:45 – 17:30 Theme No. 4 – Judges and Lawyers serving parties?
Moderator: Mr Orlando AFONSO (Portugal), judge of the Supreme Court
(Common role of the judge and the lawyer in reaching a common solution to litigations; interaction between judges and lawyers vis-à-vis the parties in order to understand the judicial system (reasoning of the decision by the judge and explanation of the decision by the lawyer), relations with the media)
15:45 – 16:30 Presentations of judges and lawyers
· Ms Michèle JAUDEL (France), Lawyer, President of the Committee open to the Paris Bar on mediation and M. Didier DALIN (France) Lawyer at the Court of Appeal of Paris, Former Member of the Bar Council, Director of the mediation-arbitration division of the Paris Bar
16:30 – 17:30 Discussion and end of the Conference