Morocco's membership to the North-South Centre will take effect on 1 July 2009
Following the official request of Morocco to become a member of the North-South Centre received on 24 March 2009, the Secretary General submitted this request to the Committee of Ministers which, at its 1054th meeting of 15-16 April 2009:
- took note of the request of Morocco to be invited to join the European Centre for Global Interdependence and Solidarity (North-South Centre) and noted that the member states of the Council of Europe which are members of the Centre unanimously agreed in principle to granting this request;
- noted that the consultation of the Holy See as non-member state of the Council of Europe, member of the Centre, will take place on 17 April 2009, on the occasion of the meeting of the Committee of Representatives of the member states of the North-South Centre;
- agreed that if there was no objection from the Holy See, the decision to invite Morocco to accede to the North-South Centre would be regarded as adopted on 22 April 2009 at their 1055th meeting.
Following this, the Committee of Representatives of the member States of the North-South Centre took the following decisions at its 52nd meeting on 17 April. It:
- welcomed the official request of Morocco to become a member of the North-South Centre, turning into reality the legal possibility for non-European countries to join the Centre;
- welcomed both the decision in principle taken by the Committee of Ministers on 16 April and the positive opinion given by the Representative of the Holy See at the meeting concerning Morocco’s accession to the NSC;
- noted that, as a consequence, the invitation addressed to Morocco to join the NSC would take effect on 22 April 2009, and encouraged the Moroccan authorities, in liaison with the Secretariat, to confirm the formal accession date as soon as possible.
With all the necessary procedures duly completed, the Secretary General wrote to the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Morocco on 23 April informing him of these positive developments and officially invited him to confirm his country’s accession date to the North-South Centre.
By a letter sent to the CoE S.G. last 12 May, the Moroccan Ambassador for European Communities, Mr Alem, confirmed that Morocco's membership to the North-South Centre will take effect on 1 July 2009