3rd Intergovernmental Conference
"Quality in the linguistics integration of adult migrants: from values to policy and practice"
Strasbourg, 3-4 June 2014
Programme including presentations
Tuesday 3 June 2014
09.00 – 10.00: OFFICIAL OPENING - Chair: Philia Thalgott
- Ulrich Bunjes, Acting Director of Democratic Citizenship and Participation, DG II
- Luís Filipe Castro Mendes (orig. FR), Ambassador, Permanent Representative of Portugal and Chair of the Rapporteur Group on Education, Culture, Sport, Youth and Environment (GR-C), Committee of Ministers
- Pierre-Yves Le Borgn’ (orig. FR), Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) [blog]
10.00 - 11.00: Linguistic Integration of Adult Migrants (LIAM) - COUNCIL OF EUROPE VALUES: POLICY GUIDELINES AND SUPPORT INSTRUMENTS / Chair: Villano Qiriazi
- Integration tests: helping or hindering integration? - Recommendation 2014(2034) from the Parliamentary Assembly to the Committee of Ministers, and accompanying Report: Philia Thalgott
- Guide to policy development and implementation: David Little
- LIAM dedicated website: www.coe.int/lang-migrants : Jean-Claude Beacco
- From one country to another, from one language to another ISBN 978-92-871-7870-1
11.00 - 11.30: Break
11.30 – 12.30: LIAM: POLICY AND PRACTICE – REPORT ON THE 3RD COUNCIL OF EUROPE SURVEY / Chair: Joseph Sheils
12.30 – 14.00: Lunch (provided)
14.00 – 14.15: Introduction to group tasks
14.15 – 15.30: GROUP WORK
Participants will divide into groups to discuss the following two sets of topics:
- 1a What linguistic resources do migrants need in order to function in a new society?
- 1b Why do the CEFR levels required for residence and/or citizenship vary across member states?
- 2a Do language tests help or hinder process of integration?
- 2b What are the alternatives to language tests?
16.00 – 17.30: PROJECTS TO FACILITATE THE INTEGRATION OF ADULT MIGRANTS / Chair: Hans-Jürgen Krumm
- Language for Work networking project: an ECML project, Alexander Bradell, project’s link person and principal author of the website
Questions from the audience
- Responding to the language needs of adult migrants: the fide project, Myriam Schleiss, manager of the fide project, Federal Office for Migration, Switzerland (with video examples illustrating scenarios)
Questions from the audience
- Conclusion by the chair
Wednesday 4 June 2014
09.00 – 10.30: Introduction to Day 2
USING THE COUNCIL OF EUROPE’S INSTRUMENTS FOR LIAM / Chair: Jean-Claude Beacco
REPORTS ON PILOTING
- a. The ELP approach for adult migrants: teaching, learning, assessment:
- b. Quality in the provision of language courses for LIAM: using the Council of Europe’s self-assessment instrument:
10.30 – 11.00: Break
11.00 – 12.30: REPORTING BACK ON GROUP DISCUSSIONS (rapporteurs as panel) / Chair: David Little
Questions arising from the group discussions and other issues raised by participants
12.30 – 14.00: Free time for lunch
14.00 – 14.45: PRESENTATIONS / Chair: Philia Thalgott
- OECD: Immigrants’ mastery in the host-country language: Challenges and policy responses in OECD countries, Cécile Thoreau, Administrator, International Migration Division, Directorate for Employment, Labour and Social Affairs
- European Commission: Overview of EU actions in support of linguistic integration, Eva Schultz, Policy Officer, Immigration and Integration Unit, DG Home Affairs
14.45 – 15.30: ROUND TABLE City policies to facilitate the (linguistic) integration of adult migrants / Moderator: Imogen Lamb, Journalist, Radio France Internationale, Paris
- Hamburg, Germany: Anja Nikodem, coordinator of the project « Dialogue in German » established by the city council
- Strasbourg, France: Mine Günbay, city councillor (responsible for areas such as the Council for foreign residents, Women’s rights, Citizen participation)
- Torres Vedras, Portugal: Ana Umbelino, city councilor (responsible for cultural and social affairs)
- Wels, Austria: Claudia Gloessl, Urban Community, Head of Office, Department for Women, Equality, Integration
- Interaction with audience
- 3rd Intergovernmental Conference on “Quality in the linguistics integration of adult migrants: from values to policy and practice"
- 2nd Intergovernmental Conference on “ The linguistics integration of adult migrants: Ways of evaluating policy and practice”
- 1st Intergovernmental seminar on the linguistic integration of adult migrants
- 4th Intergovernmental Conference “Achieving Equal Opportunities for All Migrants Through Learning and Assessment: Language and knowledge of society requirements for migrants in Council of Europe member states"