Governmental Committee of the European Social Charter and the European Code of Social Security
The Governmental Committee of the European Social Charter and European Code of Social Security, composed of representatives of the States party to the Charter and assisted by observers representing European employers’ organisations and trade unions (European Trade Union Confederation (ETUC), Business Europe (ex UNICE) and International Organisation of Employers (IOE), considers conclusions of non-conformity adopted by the European Committee of Social Rights in the months following their publication.
The State concerned must be in a position to set out the measures which it has taken or which it is contemplating taking in order to remedy the situation and, in the latter case, has to provide a timetable for achieving compliance.
In the event that the Governmental Committee considers that it is not envisaged to remedy a violation and take action on a decision of non-compliance, it may propose that the Committee of Ministers address a Recommendation to the State concerned. A recommendation calls on the State concerned to take appropriate measures to remedy the situation. Every year, the Governmental Committee presents a report to the Committee of Ministers.
Since 2001 this report has been submitted in an abridged version. Since 2002, the Governmental Committee has presented a report concerning the European Social Charter (revised) in addition to its report concerning the European Social Charter. Detailed reports are available below.
Bureau members, elected for a 2-year period 2018-2019
- Chairman: Mr Joseph FABER (Luxembourg)
- First Vice Chairwoman: Ms Karolina KIRINCIC ANDRITSOU (Greece)
- Second Vice Chairwoman : Ms Cristel VAN TILBURG (Netherlands)
- Member: Ms Natalia POPOVA (Ukraine)
- Member: Ms Brigita VERNEROVÁ (Czech Republic)
Calendar of Meetings
Meetings in 2019
- 139th meeting of the GC, 13-17 May 2019
- 140th meeting of the GC, 30 September- 4 October 2019
Meetings in 2018
- Meeting of the Bureau of the Governmental Committee, Strasbourg 22 January 2018
- Joint Bureau meeting of the Governmental Committee and the Bureau of the European Committee of Social Rights, Strasbourg 23 January 2018
- 137th meeting, 23-27 April 2018
- 138th meeting, 24-28 September 2018
- Meeting of the Bureau of the Governmental Committee, Strasbourg 22 November 2018
Reports 2017 / Conclusions 2016 and XXI-1(2016)
- GC(2017)25: Report concerning conclusions 2016 of the European Social Charter (revised)
- GC(2017)24: Report concerning conclusions XXI-1(2016) of the 1961 European Social Charter
Reports 2016 / Conclusions 2015 and XX-4(2015)
- GC(2016)22: Report concerning conclusions 2015 of the European Social Charter (revised)
- GC(2016)21: Report concerning conclusions XX-4(2015) of the 1961 European Social Charter
Reports 2015 / Conclusions 2014 and XX-3(2014)
- GC(2015)22: Report concerning conclusions 2014 of the European Social Charter (revised)
- GC(2015)21: Report concerning conclusions XX-3(2014) of the 1961 European Social Charter