Preventing and Combating Discrimination on Grounds of Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity in Albania
Shkoder and Tirana 23 November 2017
The Council of Europe and the European Union support the capacity of gender workers at the...
Tirana 8 September 2017
Showing the support of the Council of Europe for the promotion of effective protection against...
CoE calls for the rights of LGBTI people on the occasion of the International Day against Homophobia (IDAHO)Tirana 18 May 2017
On 16-17 May 2017, the Council of Europe (CoE) Office in Tirana joined the week of activities...
As part of the European Union and Council of Europe programmatic framework “Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Turkey” (Horizontal Facility), the Council of Europe will implement the Action “Preventing and Combating Discrimination on grounds of Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity in Albania (SOGI)”, in close partnership with the Ministry of Social Welfare and Youth, the Ministry of Interior/Albanian State Police, the School of Magistrates, the Commissioner for Protection from Discrimination, the People’s Advocate as well as civil society organisations.
The Action will support the national and local authorities in preventing and combating discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity (SOGI), by addressing the legislation, policy and practice in particular fields. Expert advice will be provided to support the work of the National Implementation and Co-ordination Team (NICT) and the local Gender Equality Focal Points when implementing the National Action Plan on LGBTI People 2016 - 2020. In addition, the Action will focus on enhancing the capacity of law enforcement officials, prosecutors and judges to investigate and prosecute homo/transphobic offences and discrimination on grounds of SOGI. Finally, the Action will seek to increase the level of public awareness on discrimination suffered by LGBTI people in the country. To this end, two surveys will be developed, one focusing on attitudes towards LGBTI people and another addressing the main forms of discrimination suffered by the members of this group.
The Action started on 1 October 2016 and will finish on 31 May 2018 and has an overall budget of 200,000 Euros.
The objectives of the Action
The aim of the Action is to contribute to reducing discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity in Albania, in line with the European standards.
The Action intends to accomplish the following objectives:
- Improve the inter-ministerial co-ordination and the capacity of the authorities to implement the National Action Plan on LGBTI People 2016-2020 both at the national and local level;
- Improve investigation and prosecution of hate crime towards LGBTI people;
- Increase public awareness on discrimination suffered by LGBTI people in the country.
Accordingly, the objectives of the Action will be achieved through the following expected results:
- Increased knowledge of the members of the National Implementation and Co-ordination Team (NICT) to implement the National Action Plan on LGBTI People 2016-2020;
- Increased knowledge of the local Gender Equality Focal Points on SOGI related issues;
- Enhanced capacity of law enforcement officials, prosecutors and judges to investigate and prosecute hate crime towards LGBTI people;
- New data published on attitudes towards LGBTI people and the forms of discrimination suffered by the members of this group;
- Review of the existing data collection system regarding the access to services of LGBTI people.