Strengthening Democratic Citizenship Education in Albania
The project “Strengthening Democratic Citizenship Education in Albania” is implemented by the Council of Europe (CoE) and funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida).
The Ministry of Education, Sports and Youth of Albania (MoESY) is the main partner in the implementation of the project.
What do we want to achieve:
- To improve the quality of education in Albania by strengthening democratic citizenship education based on Council of Europe standards and practices.
Who will benefit:
- Education policy makers, school principals, teachers, students and school staff from selected pilot primary and secondary schools, local communities.
Timeline and budget:
- The duration of the project is set at 48 months and it is expected to be completed by 30 November 2023, with an overall budget of 1,385,600 Euros.
How we will do it:
- Building on previous Council of Europe cooperation activities in Albania, the project supports the on-going curriculum reform and the new education approaches, such as competence-based education and student-centered teaching methods.
The objective of the project will be achieved through a series of complementary measures targeting education policy and practice in the three areas of policy support, democratic school governance and teacher support:
1. Policy support
- This component will support a comprehensive review of democratic citizenship education in Albania to identify the opportunities and challenges for further aligning the national curriculum to Council of Europe standards and national policy objectives, as well as support the Ministry of Education, Sports and Youth to integrate the democratic development objective in the new National Strategy.
2. Democratic school governance
- This component will support 75 pilot schools in developing and implementing democratic governance policies and practices to create an inclusive and enabling learning environment for all students, focusing on areas such as digital citizenship, media literacy, safety online, fighting bullying, teaching controversial issues, and climate change.
3. Teacher support
- This component will enhance teachers’ professional competences, attitudes and practices so that they are better equipped to develop democratic competences in learners through e-learning, regional peer exchange, training and coaching events.
Reference Framework of Competences for Democratic Culture
- Capacity building
- Current Projects
- European Qualifications Passport for Refugees
- Quality Education for All - Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Quality Education for All - Montenegro
- Quality education for all – Serbia
- Strengthening Democratic Citizenship Education in Albania
- INCLUDE - Building Capacity for Inclusion in Education
- Strengthening Democratic Culture in Basic Education
- Education for Democracy in the Republic of Moldova
- Democracy Starts in Schools
- EEA/Norway Grants
- Best Practice Programme in Promoting Academic Integrity
- Supporting an efficient national mechanism of recognition of refugees qualifications in Italy
- Previous Projects
- Resources developed within capacity building projects
- Current Projects