24th meeting of the Committee of the Parties (T-ES)
Strasbourg, 4-6 June 2019
1. Opening of the meeting, adoption of the agenda and up-date on ratifications of the Lanzarote Convention
2. Monitoring of the implementation of the Lanzarote Convention
2.1. “Protecting children affected by the refugee crisis from sexual exploitation and sexual abuse”
2.1.1. Follow-up by Parties to the 5 “urge” recommendations of the special report:
- decisions on the way forward with respect to Parties still not in compliance;
- decisions on the way forward with respect to the follow-up by Parties to the remaining recommendations.
2.1.2. Follow-up by Hungary to the recommendations addressed to it further to a visit of a delegation of the Lanzarote Committee to transit zones at the Serbian/Hungarian border (5-7 July 2017)
2.2. “The protection of children against sexual exploitation and sexual abuse facilitated by ICTs”
2.2.1. Examination of the revised draft Opinion of the Lanzarote Committee on child sexually suggestive or explicit images and/or videos generated, shared and received by children, in view of its adoption.
2.2.2. Exchange of views on the observations to questions 3, 11, 12 and 16 of the thematic questionnaire prepared by:
- Rapporteur Ms PETROVA (Bulgaria) on replies/contributions to questions 3 (National curriculum) and presented by the Secretariat;
- the Secretariat, based on additional information submitted with regard to question 11 (Reference in law to ICT facilitated sexual coercion and/or extortion);
- the Secretariat, on replies/contributions to question 12 (Jurisdiction rules);
- Rapporteur Ms CASTELLO-BRANCO (Portugal) on replies/contributions to question 16 (International cooperation).
2.2.3. Presentation of children’s contributions based on submissions made following the Guidelines for Implementation of Child Participation in the 2nd thematic monitoring round
3. Exchange of information, experiences and good practices
3.1. Examination of the revised draft Declaration on protecting children from sexual abuse and sexual exploitation in residential care and institutional settings in view of its adoption
3.2. Presentation of relevant activities by national authorities, international governmental and non-governmental organisations, experts, as well as services of the Council of Europe
3.2.1. Recent relevant progress in legislation, policies and strategies
3.2.2. Up-coming international events of interest to the Lanzarote Committee:
- Conference for the Mid-Term Evaluation of the Council of Europe Strategy for the Rights of the Child (2016-2021) (Strasbourg, 13-14 November 2019);
- European Day on the Protection of Children against Sexual Exploitation and Sexual Abuse (18 November 2019).
3.3. Presentation of relevant initiatives of the Parliamentary Assembly and Congress of Regional and Local Authorities of the Council of Europe
3.3.1. Committee of Ministers' request for possible comments by the Lanzarote Committee on Parliamentary Assembly Recommendation 2155 (2019) – “The situation of migrants and refugees on the Greek islands: more needs to be done”
3.4. Participation of the Lanzarote Committee representatives in outside events
- Ms CASTELLO-BRANCO (Portugal) of the:
* Round table on the implementation of the Lanzarote Convention, 21-22 March 2019, Tbilisi;
* Workshop on the hearing of child victims of sexual violence, 3 May 2019, Tunis.
- Mr NIKOLAIDIS (Greece, Chairperson) of the:
* Expert Workshop organised on the occasion of the 10th Anniversary of GRETA in Armenia, 28 March 2019, Yerevan;
* 12th European Forum on the rights of the child, 2-3 April 2019, Brussels;
* International Conference “Strengthening civil society participation in the implementation and monitoring of the Lanzarote Convention”, 8-9 April 2019, Strasbourg;
* Conference on Sexual Violence against Women and Children in Sports, 29-30 April 2019, Helsinki.
- Ms SCAPPUCCI (Executive Secretary) of the 3rd Interagency Working Group preparing draft Guidelines on the Implementation of the UN Optional Protocol on the Sale of Children, Child Prostitution and Child Pornography (OPSC), 5 April 2019, Geneva;
- Ms BOROVČANIN (Bosnia and Herzegovina) of the 3rd meeting of the CAHENF-VAC, 13-14 May 2019, Strasbourg.
4. Council of Europe cooperation projects on the protection of children against sexual exploitation and sexual abuse
4.1. Up-date on progress with the End Online Child Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (OSCEA) @ Europe Project
4.2. Up-date concerning other on-going projects’ development
5. Procedural matters
5.1. Continued brainstorming on how to ensure that operational follow-up is given to monitoring findings based on the exchange of experience with other Council of Europe monitoring bodies
5.2. Appointment of a representative of the Lanzarote Committee to the CAHENF
5.3. Replacement of Ms PETROVA as member of the Bureau and as Rapporteur for observations on Question 4 (Higher education curriculum and continuous training)
5.4. Adoption of the list of decisions of the meeting
6. Any other business
7. Dates of the next meeting
- 25th meeting: (3 days + ½ day capacity building event): 15-18 October 2019, Cyprus
- Online child sexual abuse experts visit Ukraine and Armenia
- Opportunity to participate in the next Council of Europe Children’s Rights Conference
- “Sexting”: children themselves don’t produce “child pornography”
- Call for Consultants for a Review of training strategies and materials for Law Enforcement, Judges and Prosecutors and development of a pilot training module