South Programme IV
March 2020 - Aout 2022
European Union/Council of Europe Joint Programme
Regional Support to Reinforce Human rights, Rule of Law and Democracy in the Southern Mediterranean (South Programme IV)
co-funded by the European Union and the Council of Europe
and implemented by the Council of Europe
An earlier phase of this programme (March 2018 - December 2020) was supported by the European Union.
Context of the project
Supporting the implementation of judicial reforms and promoting the efficiency and the quality of justice systems by improving the functioning of the courts remains both a strategic priority and a crosscutting area of work under the South Programme IV. In particular, aimed at policy-makers and judicial practitioners in the Southern Mediterranean region, the CEPEJ’s concrete tools are key instruments for supporting the efficiency of judiciary systems in developing local knowledge and ownership on these issues. Promoting the use of these tools through best practices sharing, round tables, conferences, workshops, and peer to peer exchanges will be essential to consolidate existing and develop new collaborations with the South Programme IV beneficiaries in this area. South Programme IV builds upon the activities implemented under the previous phase, South Programme III, providing tailored support to the beneficiaries of the region, with, whenever possible, a strengthened regional focus (regional events targeting issues of common interest of the beneficiaries).
Objectives of the project
To promote the independence, efficiency and quality of justice systems of the Region by improving the functioning of the courts and supporting the implementation of judicial reforms and the revision of relevant normative frameworks in compliance with European standards.
- The CEPEJ tools on efficiency and quality are applied to courts in the region. Judges and non-judge staff are trained on relevant CEPEJ tools.
- The administrative courts of Egypt and the Council of State of Egypt are provided with support related to statistical data collection and improving of courts’ performance with the help of the CEPEJ tools
- Beneficiaries of the region participate to the CEPEJ working groups meetings (GT-QUAL, GT-EVAL, GT-SATURN, GT-CYBERJUST) and plenary meetings to get familiar with the CEPEJ methodology and to raise their awareness on existing CEPEJ tools and ongoing work
- Regional events on issues of common interest, such as innovative working methods and digitalisation of judicial institutions in response to the COVID-19 crisis and the role and competencies of the general inspections of justice of the region, are organised to share best regional and international practices and to build regional networks between various beneficiaries
- The legislative framework relating to the justice system is in line with Council of Europe standards, inter alia through exchanges of experience and recommendations of the CEPEJ
- Others, subject to national authorities’ demand.
Ministries of Justice, Council of State of Egypt, Council of the Judiciary, High Institute for the Judiciary, pilot courts, courts’ staff, lawyers.
- Training kit (available in Arabic and French)
- Facebook page of the South Programme IV
- Website of the South programme IV
- Link to the internet page of the European Union - Southern Neighbourhood
- Facebook page of the Council of Europe office in Tunisia
- Facebook page of the Council of Eruope office in Morocco
CEPEJ documents translated into Arabic
- Overview of the CEPEJ (information leaflet)
- SATURN revised guidelines for judicial time management (CEPEJ(2014)16) - 12 December 2014
- The 15 main guidelines of the SATURN Centre for judicial time management
- Handbook (summary of the methodology) for the implementation of the tools of the SATURN Centre for judicial time management
- A model of report concerning judicial time management
- Guidelines on the role of court-appointed experts in judicial proceedings of Council of Europe's Member States (CEPEJ(2014)14), 12 December 2014
- Handbook for conducting satisfaction surveys aimed at Court users in Council of Europe's member States (CEPEJ(2010)1 - 26 novembre 2010)
- Handbook for satisfaction surveys aimed at lawyers (CEPEJ(2010)1)
- Checklist for promoting the quality of justice and the courts (CEPEJ(2008)2), 3 juillet 2008
- Recommandation CM/Rec(2010)12 on judges: independence, efficiency and responsibilities (17 November 2010)
- Guidelines for a better implementation of the existing Council of Europe's recommendation on enforcement (CEPEJ(2009)11Rev2) - 17 December 2009)
The European Commission for the Efficiency of Justice (CEPEJ) participated in the final Steering Committee of the South Programme IV aimed at taking stock of the progress made and at preparing the next phase V of the South Programme on 8 June at Casa Mediterráneo, in Alicante, Spain. The final...
The European Commission for the Efficiency of Justice (CEPEJ), in close collaboration with the European Network of Justice Inspection Services (RESIJ) and the General Inspectorate of Judicial Affairs of the Superior Council of the Judiciary of the Kingdom of Morocco organise a regional conference...
CEPEJ and the Council of State of Egypt met to present the recommendations on statistical reporting of the Egyptian administrative courts
On 10 December 2021, the CEPEJ and its international experts held a meeting with the Council of State of Egypt to present the recommendations on statistical reporting, judicial data analysis and use of efficiency indicators within the Egyptian administrative courts. This meeting concluded the...
Workshop of the CEPEJ with the Council of State of Egypt concerning the on-going data collection and analysis mechanisms in administrative courts
On 14 October 2021, an online working meeting with the Council of State of Egypt took place to discuss the preliminary findings of the analysis of the data related to operation of 9 selected administrative courts. The meeting started with a visual presentation of the trends related to main...
On 11 February 2021, the CEPEJ organised an online round table for judges of the Egyptian Council of State on “Improving the management of dashboards at Egyptian administrative courts” The round table was opened by the President of the Egyptian Council of State, in the presence of representatives...
Lessons learned from the Covid-19 health crisis and innovative working methods in judicial institutions
In the framework of the joint programme co-funded by the European Union and the Council of Europe entitled "Regional Support to Reinforce Human rights, Rule of Law and Democracy in the Southern Mediterranean" (South Programme IV), the European Commission for the Efficiency of Justice (CEPEJ)...
Round table on “How to reduce the length of the proceedings in Egyptian administrative courts and good practices from European countries”
An online round table for judges of the Egyptian Council of State on “How to reduce the length of the proceedings in Egyptian administrative courts and good practices from European countries” is organised by the CEPEJ on 9 March 2021. The implementation of the CEPEJ SATURN guidelines for judicial...