Republic of Moldova
The Republic of Moldova’s intention to strengthen local self-government is supported by the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe through the implementation of the project “Reinforcing the culture of dialogue and consultation of local authorities in the Republic of Moldova”.
Its aim is to reinforce the institutional capacities and accountability of the Congress of Local Authorities from Moldova (CALM) for enhanced policy dialogue and advocacy, and support to its members in areas such as good governance, municipal management standards and provision of quality services.
The project constitutes a step towards the closer alignment of the Moldovan local self-government system to the principles enshrined in the European Charter of Local Self-Government. Focusing on consolidating the effective consultation of local authorities by national authorities is motivated by the findings of the latest Congress Recommendation 436 (2019) on Local and regional democracy in the Republic of Moldova.
The project also builds on needs and recommendations expressed during the Council of Europe / European Union Partnership for Good Governance (PGG) thematic programme "Strengthening institutional frameworks for local governance" implemented in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, the Republic of Moldova, and Ukraine.
REINFORCING THE CULTURE OF DIALOGUE AND CONSULTATION OF LOCAL AUTHORITIES IN THE REPUBLIC OF MOLDOVA
- CALM contributes to the development of national policies as a representative body for local and regional authorities
- CALM members and Secretariat reach consensus on organisational changes following the recommendations of the baseline assessment.
In implementing this project, a combination of tools and means are used, including a baseline assessment, capacity building activities and knowledge exchange sessions. The project is designed and implemented in partnership with the CALM Secretariat so as to ensure the sustainability of results obtained.
- CALM enhances its advocacy capacities and accountability as a recognised political institution.
Partners & Beneficiaries
- The Congress of Local Authorities from Moldova (CALM)
- Local and regional authorities of the Republic of Moldova
- Government of the Republic of Moldova
The Council of Europe is launching three tender procedures for the provision of international and local consultancy services.
- The deadline for submission of applications is 9 May 2022, midnight CET.
- The expected start date is 1 June 2022.
By having an impact on democratic sustainability and promoting inclusive and participatory societies and institutions at all levels, the project "Reinforcing the culture of dialogue and consultation of local authorities in the Republic of Moldova" contributes to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals 11 (Sustainable cities and communities), 16 (Peace, justice and strong Institutions) and 17 (Partnership for the goals) of the United Nations Agenda 2030.