Leendert Verbeek (The Netherlands, SOC/G/PD) was elected President of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe on 23 March 2021 for a mandate of two years and a half. He is currently the King's Commissioner for the Province of Flevoland in the Netherlands and he had previously held office as President of the Monitoring Committee of the Congress.
President of the Chamber of Local Authorities
Bernd Vöhringer (Germany, EPP/CCE) was elected, on 23 March 2021, President of the Chamber of Local Authorities of the Congress, for a two-and-a-half-year term of office.
- Supporting Ukraine: Council of Europe Congress President meets representatives of Kyiv City Council
- Congress President condemns so-called “elections” held in occupied Abkhazia
- Statement by the President of the Council of Europe Congress on the Russian military attack against Ukraine
- “Decentralisation reforms underway in many CORLEAP countries must be brought to completion in line with the European Charter of Local Self-Government,” says Congress President
- "Rebuilding citizens’ confidence in the political system is the only way to reverse the spread of disinformation”, says Congress President
The President's role is to direct the political activities of the Congress and its Chambers, to carry out Congress policy and to represent the Congress vis-à-vis other international organisations, within the context of the Council of Europe's general policy on external relations.
The President of the Congress ensures that decisions taken by the Congress are implemented and reacts on behalf of the Congress to current developments. He or she also presents the activities of the Congress and the texts that it has adopted to the Parliamentary Assembly and Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe.
President of the Chamber of Regions
Harald Sonderegger (Austria, EPP/CCE) was elected, on 23 March 2021, President of the Chamber of Regions of the Congress, for a two-and-a-half-year term of office.