SDG 8: Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
For a society to reach inclusive and sustainable economic growth, conditions must be created to allow people to have quality jobs that stimulate the economy while not harming the environment. An equitable work environment must be ensured and grown, including all members of society. The integration of disadvantaged populations is thus an opportunity to stimulate economic and social growth, by undermining inequalities.
The approach of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities is based on three key principles: achieving SDGs is the shared responsibility of all levels of government; local and regional authorities must have the necessary competences and financial autonomy to achieve the goals in their respective areas; citizens must always remain at the heart of the action.
For a society to reach an inclusive and sustainable economic growth, conditions must be created to allow people to have quality jobs that stimulate the economy while not harming the environment. Congress contributes to these conditions to ensure and develop an equitable work environment, which includes all members of the society. The integration of disadvantaged populations is thereby an opportunity to stimulate economic and social growth, by undermining inequalities.
The Congress adopted the following texts in relation to SDG 8:
- REC450 (2021) and RES463(2021) - Fighting sexist violence against women in politics at local and regional level
- REC448 (2021) and RES458(2021) - Developing urban-rural interplay
- REC438 (2019) and RES449 (2019) - Fair distribution of taxes in transfrontier areas. Potential conflicts and possibilities for compromise
- RES414 (2017) - Forever young? The role of youth policies and youth work at local and regional levels in supporting young people’s transition to autonomy and working life
- REC382 (2015) and RES392 (2015) - Championing children’s rights in times of austerity
- REC381 (2015) and RES391 (2015) - Fighting the increasing poverty of women: the responsibility of local and regional authorities
- REC376 (2015) and RES386 (2015) - Bringing down barriers to youth participation: adopting a lingua franca for local and regional authorities and young people
- REC347 (2013) and RES362 (2013) - Migrants' access to regional labour markets
- REC343 (2013) and RES358 (2013) - Integration through self-employment: promoting migrant entrepreneurship in European municipalities
- REC262 (2009) and RES281 (2009) - Equality and diversity in local authority employment and service provision
The following thematic activities of the Congress are particularly related to SDG 8:
Congress has issued the following SDG 8 relevant publications: