|Meeting Schedule with links to related documentation|
|Human Rights (DH) meetings (Execution of judgments)|
|Council of Europe Summits|
|Other events - Exchanges|
|Latest DH documents|
|Documents A-Z index|
|Bureau, Rapporteur & Working Groups|
|CM Press Releases|
|Statutory Report 2016|
|Search by reference|
|Full text search|
Terms of reference
GT-REF.ECHR (Ad hoc Working Party on reform of the Human Rights Convention system)
The Deputies set up an open-ended ad hoc working party (GT.SUIVI.Interlaken) to steer, under their authority, the follow-up process to the Interlaken Declaration as a whole (CM/Del/Dec(2010)1080/1.7). In May 2011, the terms of reference were broadened to cover the Izmir Declaration and Follow-up Plan (CM/Del/Dec(2011)1114/1.5).
The working party was renamed GT-REF.ECHR (Reform of the Human Rights Convention system) in February 2012 (CM/Del/Dec(2012)1134/1.6 / CM(2011)96 final).
In June 2012, the Deputies instructed the GT-REF.ECHR (CM/Del/Dec(2012)1145/1.6):
1. to steer the implementation of the Brighton Declaration, ensuring that the deadlines fixed by the Declaration and by the decisions taken by the Committee of Ministers at its 122nd Session are met, in order to allow for the Deputies to report back at the 123rd Ministerial Session (16 May 2013);
2. in this context, to follow the implementation by the different stakeholders (States Parties to the Convention, European Court of Human Rights, Secretary General) of the measures falling within their respective remits;
3. to give appropriate follow-up to paragraphs 9f(i), 9g, 20j, 25b (where the procedures for the election of judges were concerned), 29b, 29c and 35b of the Brighton Declaration.
Delegations may be assisted by experts from capitals at the meetings of the working party. The Parliamentary Assembly, the Court, the Commissioner for Human Rights and other Council of Europe bodies may be invited to participate in meetings of the working party, as appropriate.
In May 2015, the Deputies further instructed the GT-REF-ECHR to (CM/Del/Dec(2015)1228/1.5):
1. steer the implementation of the Brussels Declaration, in particular Chapter C.1., and the decisions adopted by the Committee of Ministers at its 125th Session, and to ensure that the relevant deadlines are met, in order to allow for the Deputies to report back at the 126th Ministerial Session (May 2016) ;
2. in this context, follow the implementation by the different stakeholders of the measures falling within their respective remits.
The group's work was reassigned to the Rapporteur Group on Human Rights (GR-H) on 2 December 2015 (CM/Del/Dec(2015)1242/1.9).