Cooperation in Armenia
The Project of “Protection of Human Rights in Biomedicine I” is the first cooperation project in the sphere of protection of Human Rights in Biomedicine in Armenia.
The Convention for Protection of Human Rights and Dignity of the Human Being with regard to the Application of Biology and Medicine of the Council of Europe (The Oviedo Convention) is the only legally binding international instrument establishing framework applicable both to day-to-day medicine and to new technologies in the biomedical field.
The Project aims to raise awareness on and facilitate implementation of the European human rights’ and ethical standards in the field of biomedicine, such as informed consent for any medical intervention, protection of private life and right to information, non-discrimination, including on the basis of genetic heritage, prohibition of financial gain in transplantation.
The Project is focused on:
- Supporting the national authorities in their effort to bring legal norms and law-enforcement practices in the biomedical field closer to the European human rights’ and ethical standards preparing Armenia for ratification of the Oviedo Convention;
- Strengthening medical and legal practitioners’ knowledge and capacity to apply human rights standards in biomedical fields.
The Project will contribute to the following specific outcomes of the Council of Europe Action Plan for Armenia:
- Relevant legal texts and law-enforcement practices are brought into line with the principles enshrined in the Oviedo Convention;
- Public awareness on biomedical issues is increased;
- The overall level of human rights protection in the biomedical field is increased;
- Armenia is better prepared for the possible future ratification of the Oviedo Convention.
- Achievements of the First Phase of the Project
- Report on the analysis of national legislation in the field of biomedicine
- HELP training-of-trainers (ToT) session on Bioethics and first launch of the HELP course “Key human rights principles in Biomedicine” for health and legal professionals
- HELP course on “Key human rights principles” translated in Armenian
- Working groups on development of recommendations for Armenian authorities for preparation for the ratification of the Oviedo Convention
Ethical Rules for Healthcare Professionals (with ENG subtitles)
Human rights and bioethics in times of COVID-19
Remarks of the Minister of Health of the RA on the launching event of the Council of Europe’s Action Plan for Armenia 2023-2026
14/03/2022 | Ministry of Health
Interview with Laurence Lwoff, Head of the Bioethics Division of the Council of Europe,on adopted ethical rules for healthcare professionals
Interview with Izabel Abgaryan
Local expert of the Project on the importance of the ratification of the Oviedo Convention and national legislation in the field of bioethics
22/09/2021 | PUBLIC RADIO OF ARMENIA
Interview with Laurence Lwoff
Head of the Bioethics Division of the Council of Europe