Strengthening the protection of the rights of the sentenced persons
26 Sep 2019 14:57:00Skopje 23 - 24 September 2019
The working group (WG) meeting on drafting the Rulebook on the manner of proceedings of the...
06 Oct 2016 15:11:00Skopje 29 June 2016
The Project ‘’Strengthening the protection of the rights of sentenced persons’’, co-funded by the...
18 Apr 2019 10:16:00
Round Table for presentation of the report from the Assessment mission on the provision of healthcare in the prisons in North MacedoniaSkopje 16 April 2019
The Assessment report on the provision of healthcare in the prisons in North Macedonia was...
The Council of Europe will assist the national authorities in overcoming the identified shortcomings and practical deficiencies related to the treatment of sentenced persons in the beneficiary country. The project will be implemented in close cooperation and partnership with the Ministry of Justice (Directorate for Execution of Sanctions), and will include a wider group of national partners and stakeholders, including the Ombudsman and the National Preventive Mechanism, the Standing Inquiry Committee for Protection of Civil Rights and Freedoms, the Public Prosecutor’s Office and civil society organisations active in the penitentiary field and combatting ill-treatment and impunity.
This action is part of the Council of Europe/European Union Horizontal Facility for Western Balkans and Turkey.
The overall objective of the project is to strengthen the protection of the rights of sentenced persons in line with the Council of Europe standards.
Outcomes and expected outputs
Objective 1: To introduce effective prison management and mechanisms for combatting inter-prisoner violence, and further enhance the internal prison inspection system
- The capacity of prison managers and staff to address inter-prisoner violence is enhanced
- The dynamic security concept is introduced and established in the penitentiary institutions
- The professional capacities of prison managers and DECS structures is strengthened
- The capacities of the prison inspection mechanism improved
Objective 2: To improve the treatment of sentenced persons through introduction and implementation of specific treatment programmes
- The treatment of the sentenced persons improved through introduction and implementation of specific treatment programmes
- A Specific treatment programme for violent offenders is developed and introduced into the penitentiary system
Objective 3: To strengthen the protection of the rights of sentenced persons through introducing effective mechanisms for dealing with cases of ill-treatment and corruption in prisons
- The protection of the human dignity and integrity of sentenced persons in a non-discriminatory and impartial manner improved
- More effective mechanisms for prevention or dealing with cases of ill-treatment or corrupt practice by prison staff are set in place.
- An effective discipline system that will contribute to successful rehabilitation of sentenced persons is developed.
This webpage has been produced using funds of a joint project between the European Union and the Council of Europe. The views expressed herein can in no way be taken to reflect the official opinion of the European Union.
- Duration: 30 months (29 June 2016 - 30 November 2018)
- Beneficiaries/Partners: Ministry of Justice (Directorate for Execution of Sanctions), the Ombudsman and the National Preventive Mechanism, the Standing Inquiry Committee for Protection of Civil Rights and Freedoms, the Public Prosecutor’s Office and other national partners, stakeholders and civil society organisations
- Funded: The European Union and the Council of Europe
- Budget: 950,000 EUR