4.1 Universal primary and secondary education
The Council of Europe contributes to SDG 4.1 mainly through its work on competences for democratic culture and language education.
Through its activities, standards and tools developed in this field, the Council of Europe encourages its member States to provide equitable, quality education whereby all learners acquire the competencies, values, culture and knowledge essential for ensuring social integration and intercultural openness. Activities ranging from the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, to projects such as the Quality Education in Romani for Europe, the development of a Reference Framework of Competences for Democratic Culture and the support provided by the Education Policy Advisors Network to effective implementation of Council of Europe education standards are just some of its stepping stones for achieving equitable, quality primary and secondary education that leads to relevant and effective learning outcomes in line with the values and culture of human rights and democratic citizenship.
- 4.1 Universal primary and secondary education
- 4.2 Early childhood development and universal pre-primary education
- 4.3 Equal access to technical/vocational and higher education
- 4.4 Relevant skills for decent work
- 4.5 Gender equality and inclusion
- 4.6 Universal youth literacy
- 4.7 Education for sustainable development and global citizenship
- 4.a Effective learning environments