Pilot Project on Digital Citizenship Education in Türkiye
The action aims to promote human rights, fundamental freedoms and democracy in schools by empowering students in their digital presence through Digital Citizenship Education (DCE) at the lower secondary level in Türkiye. It proposes a series of measures to introduce the concept of digital citizenship and its essential core competences in education institutions in Türkiye in consultation with key stakeholders and end beneficiaries.
This action is implemented within the joint programme of the European Union and the Council of Europe “Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Türkiye”, and it is running from 2023 until 2025.
Goals of the action
- Support the efforts of the Ministry of National Education in adapting competences for democratic culture in the education system
- Promote human rights, fundamental freedoms and democracy in schools by empowering students in their digital presence through digital citizenship education (DCE) at the lower secondary level in Türkiye.
How does the action work?
- By adapting Council of Europe’s DCE tools to the Turkish Education System
- Through capacity building activities for teachers and school administrators
- By initiating awareness raising activities and public discussions on DCE and its 10 domains
- By empowering students in their digital presence through video games and guiding materials
- The action complements the achievements of the IPA II action “Strengthening Democratic Culture in Basic Education” (2018 - 2022)