The linguistic integration of adult migrants has been the subject of a symposium and of three intergovernmental conferences to date (2008, 2010 and 2014) which aimed at offering member states
- a platform that enables them to reflect together on policy and practice and share experience
- opportunities for gaining an insight into resources developed by the Council of Europe to provide assistance for the development of coherent and effective policies as well as practical support for their implementation.
Symposium: The linguistic integration of adult migrants: lessons from research
The objective of this Symposium based on an open call for proposals (73 were accepted) was to bring together researchers from various disciplines – education, didactics, psychology, applied linguistics, sociolinguistics, etc. – to consider to what extent and in what ways scientific evidence can inform the development of policy and practice designed to support the linguistic integration of adult migrants.
- Programme of presentations
- Bilingual summaries of 73 lectures
- Publication (with papers in English and in French) : The Linguistic Integration of Adult Migrants / L’intégration linguistique des migrants adultes. Some lessons from research / Les enseignements de la recherche (published by De Gruyter Mouton for the Council of Europe)
Third Intergovernmental Conference on “Quality in the linguistics integration of adult migrants: from values to policy and practice"
The innovative approach of this 3rd conference facilitated discussion and exchanges around the presentation of the new LIAM website and its multiple resources; of the analysis of findings of the 3rd survey; of a new Guide on language policy and practice related to LIAM; of a key recommendation of the Council of Europe’s Parliamentary Assembly on the impact of language tests for migrants; of the outcomes of piloting instruments designed for LIAM. Towns were also given the opportunity to report about their initiatives in terms of linguistic integration.
Conference documents and publications
- Report on the 3rd LIAM survey of the Council of Europe, 2014
- Linguistic integration of adult migrants - Guide to policy development and implementation, 2014
- The linguistic Integration of Adult Migrants - from one country to another, from one language to another, ISBN 978-92-871-7871-8
- Integration tests: helping or hindering integration?, Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE). A Report composed of a Resolution, an Explanatory Report as well as Recommendation 2034 (2014) addressed to the Committee of Ministers (see its Reply)
- Support to member states: (bilingual doc.) examples of possible assistance by the Language Policy Unit in the field of LIAM (expertise, review, analysis, use of ILMA instruments, etc)
Second Intergovernmental Conference on “The linguistics integration of adult migrants: Ways of evaluating policy and practice”
This conference offered opportunities to discuss language requirements related to family reunification, permanent residence, and nationality/citizenship, and to explore issues such as quality in language programmes, language tests and other forms of evaluation.
- The Linguistic Integration of Adult Migrants: Evaluating policy and practice
- Context and policy: Adult migrant integration policies: Principles and implementation
- ECRI’s contribution (European Committee against Racism and Intolerance)
- Compilation of results of a Pre-Conference questionnaires on policy and practice in states
See also the Report on the survey carried on among member states.
First Intergovernmental seminar on the linguistic integration of adult migrants
Based on shared Council of Europe principles, this first event aimed at sharing the findings of the 1st survey among member states, but also at presenting several key documents (thematic and case studies) designed to assist member states in developing coherent and effective policies and implementing them.
- The role of languages in policies for the integration of adult migrants, 2008, Jean-Claude Beacco
- The ‘Common European Framework of Reference for Languages’ and the development of policies for the integration of adult migrants. 2008, David Little.
- Quality assurance in the provision of language education and training for adult migrants – Guidelines and options. 2008, Richard Rossner.
- Language tests for social cohesion and citizenship – an outline for policy makers. 2008, ALTE Authoring Group (Association of Language Testers in Europe).
- Language learning, teaching and assessment and the integration of adult immigrants. The importance of needs analysis. 2008, Piet van Avermaet, Sara Gysen.
- Tailoring language provision and requirements to the needs and capacities of adult migrants. 2008, Hans-Jürgen Krumm, Verena Plutzar
- Responding to the language needs of adult refugees in Ireland: an alternative approach to teaching and assessment. 2008, David Little
- The role of literacy in the acculturation process of migrants. 2008, Hervé Adami
- Language Learning in the Context of Migration and Integration – Challenges and Options for Adult Learners. 2008, Verena Plutzar, Monika RITTER
- Education: Tailor-made or one-size-fits-all? A project commissioned by the Nederlandse Taalunie. 2008 - ITTA/Elwine Halewijn, CTO/Annelies Houben, Heidi De Niel
- Living together in diversity - Linguistic integration in Flanders. 2008, Reinhilde Pulinx