Governmental Committee of the European Social Charter and the European Code of Social Security
The Governmental Committee of the European Social Charter and European Code of Social Security, composed of representatives of the States party to the Charter and assisted by observers representing European employers’ organisations and trade unions (European Trade Union Confederation (ETUC), Business Europe (ex UNICE) and International Organisation of Employers (IOE), considers conclusions of non-conformity adopted by the European Committee of Social Rights in the months following their publication.
The State concerned must be in a position to set out the measures which it has taken or which it is contemplating taking in order to remedy the situation and, in the latter case, has to provide a timetable for achieving compliance.
In the event that the Governmental Committee considers that it is not envisaged to remedy a violation and take action on a decision of non-compliance, it may propose that the Committee of Ministers address a Recommendation to the State concerned. A recommendation calls on the State concerned to take appropriate measures to remedy the situation. Every year, the Governmental Committee presents a report to the Committee of Ministers.
Since 2001 this report has been submitted in an abridged version. Since 2002, the Governmental Committee has presented a report concerning the European Social Charter (revised) in addition to its report concerning the European Social Charter. Detailed reports are available below.
Bureau members, elected for a 2-year period 2016-2017
- President: Ms Kristina VYSNIAUSKAITE-RADINSKIENE (Lithuania)
- First Vice Chairman: Mr Joseph FABER (Luxembourg)
- Second Vice Chairwoman: Ms Karolina KIRINCIC ANDRITSOU (Greece)
- Member: Ms Odete SEVERINO (Portugal)
- Member: Ms Natalia POPOVA (Ukraine)
Calendar of Meetings
Meetings in 2017
- 135th meeting, 15-19 May 2017
- 136the meeting, 25-29 September 2017
Meetings in 2016
- Meeting of the Bureau of the Governmental Committee, Strasbourg, 27 January 2016
- 133d meeting, 9 -13 May 2016
- 134th meeting, 26 - 30 September 2016
Meetings in 2015
- 132nd meeting, 5-9 October 2015
- 131st meeting, 18-22 May 2015
- Meeting of the Bureau of the Governmental Committee, Strasbourg, 27 November 2015
Reports 2016 / Conclusions 2015 and XX-4(2015)
- GC(2016)22: Report concerning Conclusions 2015 of the European Social Charter (revised)
- GC(2016)21: Report concerning Conclusions XX-4(2015) of the 1961 European Social Charter
Reports 2015 / Conclusions 2014 and XX-3(2014)
- GC(2015)22: Report concerning Conclusions 2014 of the European Social Charter (revised)
- GC(2015)21: Report concerning Conclusions XX-3(2014) of the 1961 European Social Charter