Promoting more humane and socially effective penal sanctions
Lillestrøm 20-21 June 2017
The 22nd Council of Europe Conference of Directors of Prison and Probation Services (CDPPS),...
Strasbourg 24 March 2017
The Council of Europe has just issued a Recommendation to governments containing European rules...
STRASBOURG 14 March 2017
The number of people held in European prisons decreased by 6.8% from 2014 to 2015, although...
Historically speaking the Council of Europe has played a pioneering role and has a unique experience in promoting humane treatment of offenders, decent prison conditions and socially effective and rehabilitative penal sanctions and measures.
To this end a number of important legal instruments have been adopted, namely the European Prison Rules, the Council of Europe Probation Rules, the European Rules on community sanctions or measures, the European Rules for juvenile offenders subject to sanctions or measures and recommendations on remand in custody, education in prison, prison and probation staff, health care in prison, foreign prisoners, long-term sentences, prison overcrowding and conditional release.
- Recommendation CM/Rec (2017) 3 of the Committee of Ministers to the member states on the European Rules on community sanctions and measures / Text of the Recommendation accompanied by its commentary
- Council of Europe Handbook for Prison and Probation Services regarding Radicalisation and Violent Extremism German version here
- White Paper on Prison Overcrowding
- Essex paper N°3 with initial guidance on interpretation and implementation of the Nelson Mandela Rules
- Guidelines for prison and probation services regarding radicalisation and violent extremism
- Practical Guide - Monitoring places where children are deprived of liberty