Promoting more humane and socially effective penal sanctions
The Conference of Directors of Prison and Probation Services calls for agreed European standards regarding recruitment, training and development of prison and probation staffLillestrøm (Norway) 20-21 June 2017
Jan Kleijssen, Director, Information Society and Action against Crime Directorate, Council of...
Strasbourg 24 March 2017
The Council of Europe has just issued a Recommendation to governments containing European rules...
Historically speaking the Council of Europe has played a pioneering role and has a unique experience in promoting humane treatment of offenders, decent prison conditions and socially effective and rehabilitative penal sanctions and measures.
- Recommendation CM/Rec (2017) 3 of the Committee of Ministers to the member states on the European Rules on community sanctions and measures / Text of the Recommendation accompanied by its commentary
- Council of Europe Handbook for Prison and Probation Services regarding Radicalisation and Violent Extremism / German version here
- White Paper on Prison Overcrowding
- Essex paper N°3 with initial guidance on interpretation and implementation of the Nelson Mandela Rules
- Guidelines for prison and probation services regarding radicalisation and violent extremism
- Practical Guide - Monitoring places where children are deprived of liberty