Freedom of expression and freedom of the media in Montenegro – JUFREX 2
14 Nov 2021 10:55:00
European Union and Council of Europe support better co-operation among journalists, police and judiciary in MontenegroBudva, Montenegro 13 - 14 November 2021
In parallel to the support to ongoing media legislative and policy reforms, the joint European...
10 Nov 2021 10:01:00
Local trainers in the Western Balkans prepared to conduct online courses on “Freedom of Expression” and “Protection and Safety of Journalists”Western Balkans 9 - 10 November 2021
9-10 November 2021 - The Council of Europe standards on freedom of expression can be more...
06 Nov 2021 10:32:00Podgorica, Montenegro 6 - 7 November 2021
The joint European Union and Council of Europe action “Freedom of expression and freedom of the...
12 Jul 2021 10:20:00Western Balkans 12 - 16 July 2021
An online Regional Summer School on European standards: freedom of expression and freedom of the...
28 May 2021 10:06:00
2nd Bulletin on the latest developments of European Court of Human Rights case-law on freedom of expression publishedWestern Balkans 28 May 2021
In order to advance cooperation with the legal professionals in Western Balkans and contribute to...
What is the goal?
- To promote freedom of expression and freedom of the media and to improve the application of European standards in this domain;
- To strengthen skills and knowledge of the actors who are responsible to apply such standards as part of their daily work (judges, prosecutors, lawyers, police officers, representatives of media regulatory authorities, journalists, students and other media actors).
Who benefits from the Action?
- Local training institutions for legal professionals (Academy of Judges and Prosecutors and Bar Association);
- Media Regulatory Authority and Ministry of Culture;
- Universities/Faculties of Law and Political Science;
- Association of Professional Journalists and Media Trade Union;
- Judges, prosecutors, police officers, lawyers;
- Civil society organisations;
- Citizens of Montenegro, who will be able to receive quality information through media content
How will the Action work?
- The Action builds upon a previous EU/CoE Regional Joint Programme (JUFREX);
- The capacity building activities for the various professional categories adopt a dynamic methodology for adult learning and peer-to-peer model;
- The action uses an inclusive approach in order to generate dialog between the different actors and relevant stakeholders;
- The strong interconnection between regional and Beneficiary-specific Actions ensure strengthened co-operation, exchange of good practices and lessons learnt.
What do we expect to achieve?
- Members of the judiciary (Training centre in judiciary and state prosecutor’s office), legal professionals (Bar Association of Montenegro) and police officers (Police Academy of Montenegro) improve application of the European Convention on Human Rights and the Court case-law on Freedom of Expression;
- Media Regulatory authority's professional capacities are further strengthened (Agency for electronic media, Association of professional journalists and Media Trade Union);
- Media actors and relevant stakeholders, including Universities contribute to an enabling environment for freedom of expression and freedom of the media.
How much will it cost?
- The total budget of the Action is 500,000.00 EUR
- The budget allocated to the overall Horizontal Facility programme amounts to ca. 41 Million EUR (85% funded by the European Union, 15% by the Council of Europe).
How to get more information?
- Directorate General I: Human Rights and Rule of Law: https://www.coe.int/en/web/freedom-expression/jufrex-2
- Martina Silvestri, Programme Manager, [email protected], +333 90 216 339
- Marija Simic, Horizontal Facility Communication Officer, [email protected], +381 63 601 337
- Boris Ristovic, Senior Project Officer, [email protected] , +382 69 317 791