Temporary Employment Opportunities
Looking for short-term work? In France, in order to meet its short-term needs, the Organisation may offer a monthly or daily temporary contract for short-term assignments (for example: to cover staff absences, periods of increased workload or to support specific projects).
Temporary contracts shall be concluded for periods of one month or more and may be renewed up to a maximum of 12 months over the person's entire career.
Daily contracts shall be concluded for periods of less than three weeks. They may not total more than 100 working days in any calendar year. The 12 months' limitation is not applicable to daily contracts.
These types of contracts may be an excellent way to gain experience within the Organisation or to pick up new skills; they cannot, however, lead to longer fixed-term employment which is accessed through a separate recruitment process.
What we look for in our temporary staff
We're looking for highly motivated individuals who can quickly slot into our existing structure and be immediately operational to a high level on the job. Our aim is to recruit the best people for each job, so please make sure that you meet the requirements and that you only apply for the profile you are suited for!
Essential prerequisites are:
- nationality of one of the Council of Europe's member states;
- very good knowledge of one of the Council of Europe's official languages (English and French) and good knowledge of the other;
- specific qualifications and experience for the profile sought. However, you must not be the parent, child, stepchild or grandchild of a serving staff member of the Council of Europe.
Our vacancy notice for speculative applications is open on an ongoing basis for the key profiles we regularly seek for temporary vacancies. These are at 3 levels and cover the following types of work:
Programme/Project Officers and lawyers
Programme/project or legal temporary staff ensure professional expertise and assistance to programmes, projects and/or activities in a number of technical or work fields (for example programme/project coordination, finance, legal affairs, ICT, communication, scientific assistance).
Secretarial/Administrative Support Assistants
Administrative support assistants provide clerical and organisational support to a supervisor, work unit, team, programme or project in a variety of technical or work fields (such as programme/project support, administration, accounting, IT/web, archiving/documentation, proof reading, and scientific work).
Technical Services Personnel
Technical Services Personnel perform various duties related to technical or logistical services (such as reception and security duties; mail and document distribution; chauffeur duties; technical or maintenance work, etc).
We may also advertise for specific profiles when necessary. Details on these are given in individual vacancy notices when they appear.
What we offer
In return, we offer our temporary staff tax-free salaries, good holiday allowance and other benefits. See the specific employment conditions for temporary staff and the general conditions of employment for information on salaries.
How to apply
To apply for temporary employment (either a monthly or daily temporary job), you must use the on-line application system. Under ‘current temporary vacancies', you can consult the profiles we are looking for now or complete the general speculative application form. If you have the right experience and qualifications, click on the "Apply" button next to the one that interests you. You will then have to fill in an on-line application and submit it before the deadline (midnight French time).
We should reiterate here that, given the volume of applications received for temporary work, we are not able to reply separately to each individual request.
Your online form will be stored in our database to be examined for the job applied for. In the case of speculative applications, your form may be consulted if a temporary vacancy for your profile becomes available and the hiring department may contact you directly, should your application be of interest. Note that your application will only stay active in the system if you log on to your account every three months. You can update your form with any new professional or personal information (or withdraw it) at any time before the closing date.
Important: It is important to keep the information on your form up to date and particularly for speculative applications, to log on every three months in order to have the best chance of being selected and to avoid your online form being archived after that period.
Tips for applying:
- check if you meet all the requirements of the profile you would like to apply for (competencies required, education, professional experience, languages);
- check if you have all the documents and certificates to demonstrate your education, professional experiences, etc. This will help you to input all the relevant details in your application, e.g. dates of previous employment, name of educational establishment, etc;
- try to be ‘short and to the point', particularly in the motivation section of the application, but make sure you include all appropriate information;
- think about three persons for us to contact to give you a reference if your application is taken further (e.g. previous employer, supervisor, etc.); make sure you have all the necessary contact details and that you ask or inform them in advance.