On 30 June and 1 July 2022, the Council of Europe HELP Programme (Human Rights Education for Legal Professionals) held its 2022 Annual Network Conference in Strasbourg, France, and online.
Primarily aimed at Judiciary Schools and Bar Associations throughout the Council of Europe member States and beyond, as well as representatives of partner international organisations working on training of legal professionals, the Conference was fully broadcast online and is open to everyone interested in the work of the HELP Programme of the Council of Europe and in the HELP online courses.
The Conference was organised under the auspices of the Irish Presidency of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe.
- Thomas Byrne TD, Irish Minister for Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth
- Christos Giakoumopoulos, Director General of Human Rights and Rule of Law, Council of Europe
- Meglena Kuneva, Ambassador and Head of the EU Delegation to the Council of Europe
Keynote speech by:
- Judge Tim Eicke, European Court of Human Rights
This year, the Conference included a special topical session on the Council of Europe’s response to the war in Ukraine. Watch it here (02:27:20)
The HELP Annual Network Conference is the main gathering of the HELP Network members (Justice Training Institutions and Bar Associations) and partners such as European Judicial Training Network (EJTN), Council of Bars and Law Societies of Europe (CCBE), EU Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA), UNHCR.
The objectives of the conference are:
- To highlight the response of the Council of Europe Programme on Human Rights Education for Legal Professionals (HELP) to the current challenges, including response to the war in Ukraine
- To present the developments in the HELP Programme since the 2021 HELP Network Conference:
- update on the HELP projects and initiatives
- presentation of newly developed or updated HELP courses
- To provide the HELP Network members a forum for addressing their peers.
Livestream of the conference
Facebook 30 June morning - 30 June afternoon - 1 July
KUDO platform (with interpretation – English – French – Russian)
- Conference agenda
- Conference webpage
- Welcoming speech by the Director General Christos Giakoumopoulos
- Closing remarks by Human Rights Director, Christophe Poirel
- Council of Europe asylum/migration HELP e-Desks for lawyers assisting people fleeing the war in Ukraine
- Human Rights Education for Legal Professionals (HELP)
Follow us on social media: